- •Effect of posture and fasted state on central blood pressure estimation was observed.
- •Interaction effects for posture and fasted state reported for some central measures.
- •Fasting state had a greater influence on central pressures when seated than supine.
- •Oscillometric wave reflection has acceptable between-day reliability in over 50s.
- •SphygmoCor XCEL may be a suitable tool for clinical use in an older population.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:Aix (augmentation index), AIx75 (augmentation index corrected to a heart rate of 75b-min−1), AP (augmented pressure), BP (blood pressure), cBP (central blood pressure), cDBP (central diastolic blood pressure), cSBP (central systolic blood pressure), cPP (central pulse pressure), DBP (diastolic blood pressure), ICC (intra-class correlation coefficient), SBP (systolic blood pressure)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- 2014 evidence-based guideline for the management of high blood pressure in adults: report from the panel members appointed to the eighth joint national committee.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2014; 311: 507-520
- Blood pressure is the most important cause of death and disability in the world.Eur. Heart J. Suppl. 2007; 9: B23-B28
- Statistical information on cardiovascular disease in the UK.([online]. Available at)http://bhsoc.org/resources/statistical-information-on-cardiovascular/Date: 2014Date accessed: February 12, 2017
- CDC grand rounds: a public health approach to detect and control hypertension.MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly. Rep. 2016; 65: 1261-1264
- Central blood pressures: do we need them in the management of cardiovascular disease? Is it a feasible therapeutic target?.J. Hypertens. 2007; 25: 265-272
- Central blood pressure: current evidence and clinical importance.Eur. Heart J. 2014; https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheart/eht565
- Reliability of oscillometric central blood pressure and wave reflection readings: effects of posture and fasting.J. Hypertens. 2015; 33: 1588-1593
- The impact of exercise on derived measures of central pressure and augmentation index obtained from the SphygmoCor device.J. Appl. Physiol. 2009; 106: 1896-1901
- Non-invasive model-based estimation of aortic pulse pressure using supra-systolic brachial pressure waveforms.J. Biomech. 2009; 42: 2111-2115
- Evaluation of a novel sphygmomanometer, which estimates central aortic blood pressure from analysis of brachial artery suprasystolic pressure waves.J. Hypertens. 2012; 30: 1743-1750
- Validity and reliability of aortic pulse wave velocity and augmentation index determined by the new cuff-based SphygmoCor Xcel.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2014; 28: 475-481
- Estimation of central aortic pressure waveform features derived from the brachial cuff volume displacement waveform.Conf Proc IEEE Eng Med Biol Soc. 2012; : 2591-2594
- Invasive validation of a novel brachial cuff-based oscillometric device (SphygmoCor XCEL) for measuring central blood pressure.J. Hypertens. 2017; 35: 69-75
- Reproducibility of intra-arterial ambulatory blood pressure: effects of physical activity and posture.J. Hypertens. 2004; 22: 1105-1112
- The effect of different body positions on blood pressure.J. Clin. Nurs. 2007; 16: 137-140
- Acute effects of short-term fasting on blood pressure, circulating noradrenaline and efferent sympathetic nerve activity.Acta Med. Scand. 1988; 223: 485-490
- Acute effects of food on postprandial blood pressure and measures of arterial stiffness in healthy humans.Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 2009; 90: 298-303
- The Strengthening the Reporting of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (STROBE) statement: guidelines for reporting observational studies.Lancet. 2007; 370: 1453-1457
- G*Power 3: a flexible statistical power analysis program for the social, behavioral, and biomedical sciences.Behav. Res. Meth. 2007; 39: 175-191
- Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences.Academic Press, New York; London1969
- ACC/AHA/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/AGS/APhA/ASH/ASPC/NMA/PCNA guideline for the prevention, detection, evaluation, and management of high blood pressure in adults.Hypertension. 2017; (10.1161.HYP.0000000000000066)
- Effects of arm and body position when measuring blood pressure in young healthy males and females.Bio. 2015; 86: 1-9
- Should the augmentation index be normalized to heart rate?.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2013; 21: 11-16
- World health organization collaborative study of neoplasia and steroid contraceptives. International variability in ages at menarche, first livebirth, and menopause.Am. J. Epidemiol. 1998; 148: 1195-1205
- Daily blueberry consumption improves blood pressure and arterial stiffness in postmenopausal women with pre- and stage 1- hypertension: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical trial.J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2015; 115: 369-377
- Central pulse pressure but not brachial blood pressure is the predominant factor affecting aortic arterial stiffness.Nan Fang Yi Ke Da Xue Xue Bao. 2015; 31: 34-39
- Effect of supine versus sitting position of noninvasive assessment of aortic pressure waveform: a randomized cross-over study.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2014; 28: 236-241
- Differences in blood pressure by body position (supine, Fowler's, and sitting) in hypertensive subjects.Am. J. Hypertens. 2011; 24: 1073-1079
- Both body and arm position significantly influence blood pressure measurement.J. Hum. Hypertens. 2003; 17: 459-462
- Major impact of body position on arterial stiffness indices derived from radial applanation tonometry in pregnant and nonpregnant women.J. Hypertens. 2012; 30: 1161-1168