- •This study is the first one to characterize the detailed effect of PCSK9 inhibitors on lipid species.
- •PCSK9 inhibition significantly affects the lipid composition of both plasma and lipoprotein particles.
- •Especially the vast changes in sphingolipid metabolism may partly explain the clinical benefits of anti-PCSK9 therapies.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:CAD (coronary artery disease), CE (cholesteryl ester), Cer (ceramide), DAG (diacylglycerol), Gb3 (globotriasoylceramide), Glc/GalCer (glucosyl/galactosylceramide), GOF (gain-of-function), LacCer (lactosylceramide), LDL-C (LDL-cholesterol), LPC (lysophosphatidylcholine), LOF (loss-of-function), HDL-C (HDL-cholesterol), PC (phosphatidylcholine), PE (phosphatidylethanolamine), PI (phosphatidylinositol), SM (sphingomyelin), TAG (triacylglycerol), TC (total cholesterol), TG (triglyceride)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Inflammation, atherosclerosis, and coronary artery disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; 352: 1685-1695https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMra043430
- Statin adverse effects: a review of the literature and evidence for a mitochondrial mechanism.Am. J. Cardiovasc. Drugs. 2008; 8: 373-418https://doi.org/10.2165/0129784-200808060-00004
- Statin-associated side effects.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2395-2410https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.02.071
- Mutations in PCSK9 cause autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia.Nat. Genet. 2003; 34: 154-156https://doi.org/10.1038/ng1161
- Sequence variations in PCSK9, low LDL, and protection against coronary heart disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2006; 354: 1264-1272https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa054013
- PCSK9 function and physiology.J. Lipid Res. 2008; 49: 1595-1599https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.E800008-JLR200
- Targeting PCSK9 for hypercholesterolemia.Annu. Rev. Pharmacol. Toxicol. 2014; 54: 273-293https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-pharmtox-011613-140025
- Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; (NEJMoa1615664)https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1615664
- Beyond LDL-C lowering: distinct molecular sphingolipids are good indicators of proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 (PCSK9) deficiency.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 228: 380-385https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2013.03.029
- Molecular lipids identify cardiovascular risk and are efficiently lowered by simvastatin and PCSK9 deficiency.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99: E45-E52https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2013-2559
- Effects of RG7652, a monoclonal antibody against PCSK9, on LDL-C, LDL-C subfractions, and inflammatory biomarkers in patients at high risk of or with established coronary heart disease (from the phase 2 EQUATOR study).Am. J. Cardiol. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.02.020
- The distribution and chemical composition of ultracentrifugally separated lipoproteins in human serum.J. Clin. Invest. 1955; 34: 1345-1353https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI103182
- Unraveling Glycerophospholipidomes by Lipidomics.Humana Press, Totowa, NJ2008https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-59745-463-6_17
- A simple method for the isolation and purification of total lipides from animal tissues.J. Biol. Chem. 1957; 226: 497-509
- High-throughput shotgun lipidomics by quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometry.J. Chromatogr. B. Analyt. Technol. Biomed. Life Sci. 2009; 877: 2664-2672https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jchromb.2009.02.037
- Quantitative profiling of phospholipids by multiple precursor ion scanning on a hybrid quadrupole time-of-flight mass spectrometer.Anal. Chem. 2002; 74: 941-949
- Charting molecular composition of phosphatidylcholines by fatty acid scanning and ion trap MS3 fragmentation.J. Lipid Res. 2003; 44: 2181-2192https://doi.org/10.1194/jlr.D300020-JLR200
- Plasma ceramides predict cardiovascular death in patients with stable coronary artery disease and acute coronary syndromes beyond LDL-cholesterol.Eur. Heart J. 2016; 37: 1967-1976https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw148
- Plasma lipidomic analysis of stable and unstable coronary artery disease.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011; 31: 2723-2732https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.111.234096
- Circulating ceramides predict cardiovascular outcomes in the population-based FINRISK 2002 cohort.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2016; 36: 2424-2430https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.116.307497
- Effect of PCSK9 inhibition by alirocumab on lipoprotein particle concentrations determined by nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2015; 4https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.115.002224
- Effect of monoclonal antibodies to PCSK9 on high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels: a meta-analysis of 16 randomized controlled treatment arms.Br. J. Clin. Pharmacol. 2016; 81: 1175-1190https://doi.org/10.1111/bcp.12905
- Eicosanoid storm in infection and inflammation.Nat. Rev. Immunol. 2015; 15: 511-523https://doi.org/10.1038/nri3859
- Dose-dependent effects of rosuvastatin on the plasma sphingolipidome and phospholipidome in the metabolic syndrome.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99: E2335-E2340https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2014-1665