- •Arterial stiffness is recognized as an independent marker of cardiovascular disease.
- •The role of physical activity levels in arterial stiffness has been controversial.
- •Twelve studies using gold standard methods were included.
- •Higher time spent in physical activity was associated with lower arterial stiffness.
- •Higher time spent in sedentary behavior was associated with higher arterial stiffness.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Recommendations for Improving and Standardizing Vascular Research on Arterial Stiffness.A Scientific Statement From the American Heart Association, 2015
- Prediction of cardiovascular events and all-cause mortality with arterial stiffness: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1318-1327
- Changes in arterial stiffness and wave reflection with advancing age in healthy men and women.Framingham Heart Study. 2004; 43: 1239-1245
- Mechanisms, pathophysiology, and therapy of arterial stiffness.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2005; 25: 932-943
- Objectively measured physical activity and sedentary-time are associated with arterial stiffness in Brazilian young adults.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 148-154
- Objectively measured physical activity, sedentary time and subclinical vascular disease: cross-sectional study in older British men.Prev. Med. 2016; 89: 194-199
- Longer time spent in light physical activity is associated with reduced arterial stiffness in older adults.Hypertension. 2010; 56: 540-546
- Yearlong physical activity and regional stiffness of arteries in older adults: the Nakanojo Study.Eur. J. Appl. Physiol. 2010; 109: 455-464
- Relationship between objectively measured physical activity and vascular structure and function in adults.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 234: 366-372
- Sedentary behavior and light physical activity are associated with brachial and central blood pressure in hypertensive patients.PLoS One. 2016; 10e0146078
- Physical activity measured by accelerometry and its associations with cardiac structure and vascular function in young and middle-aged adults.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2015; 4e001528
- Sedentary behavior research network (SBRN) - terminology consensus project process and outcome.Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Activ. 2017; 14: 75
- Sedentary behaviors and subsequent health outcomes in adults a systematic review of longitudinal studies, 1996-2011.Am. J. Prev. Med. 2011; 41: 207-215
- Sedentary behavior and cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: a science advisory from the american heart association.Circulation. 2016; 134: e262-e279
Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG. Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. International Journal of Surgery. 8(5):336–41.
- Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of Observational Studies in Epidemiology (MOOSE) group.Jama. 2000; 283: 2008-2012
- Physical activity, exercise, and physical fitness: definitions and distinctions for health-related research.Publ. Health Rep. 1985; 100: 126-131
- Accelerometer data collection and processing criteria to assess physical activity and other outcomes: a systematic review and practical considerations.Sports Med. (Auckland, NZ). 2017; 47: 1821-1845
- Association of sedentary behaviour with metabolic syndrome: a meta-analysis.PLoS One. 2012; 7e34916
- Statistical Methods for Meta-Analysis.Academic Press, Orlando1985
- Introduction to Meta-analysis.2009
- Physical activity, adiponectin, and cardiovascular structure and function.Heart Ves. 2013; 28: 91-100
- Higher physical activity is associated with lower aortic stiffness but not with central blood pressure: the ADDITION-Pro Study.Medicine. 2015; 94: e485
- Inverse relationship between physical activity, adiposity, and arterial stiffness in healthy middle-aged subjects.J. Phys. Activ. Health. 2015; 12: 1576-1581
- Low physical activity is associated with increased arterial stiffness in patients recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.Am. J. Hypertens. 2016; 29: 882-888
- Inverse relationship between physical activity and arterial stiffness in adults with hypertension.J. Phys. Activ. Health. 2014; 11: 272-277
- Sedentary behavior and light physical activity are associated with brachial and central blood pressure in hypertensive patients.PLoS One. 2015; 10
- Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee. Physical Activity Guidelines Advisory Committee Report, 2008. Department of Health and Human Service, Washington DC: U.S2008
- Moderate-vigorous recreational physical activity and breast cancer risk, stratified by menopause status: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Menopause (New York, NY). 2017; 24: 322-344
- Even a low-dose of moderate-to-vigorous physical activity reduces mortality by 22% in adults aged >/=60 years: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Br. J. Sports Med. 2015; 49: 1262-1267
- Physical activity and all-cause mortality: an updated meta-analysis with different intensity categories.Int. J. Sports Med. 2009; 30: 213-224
- Health benefits of light-intensity physical activity: a systematic review of accelerometer data of the national health and nutrition examination survey (NHANES).Sports Med. (Auckland, NZ). 2017; 47: 1769-1793
- The potential yield of non-exercise physical activity energy expenditure in public health.Sports Med. (Auckland, NZ). 2015; 45: 449-452
- Television viewing and risk of type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and all-cause mortality: a meta-analysis.Jama. 2011; 305: 2448-2455
- The evolving definition of "sedentary".Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 2008; 36: 173-178
- Sedentary behavior, cardiorespiratory fitness, physical activity, and cardiometabolic risk in men: the cooper center longitudinal study.Mayo Clin. Proc. 2014; 89: 1052-1062
- The prospective relationship between sedentary time and cardiometabolic health in adults at increased cardiometabolic risk - the Hoorn Prevention Study.Int. J. Behav. Nutr. Phys. Activ. 2014; 11: 90
- Moderate to vigorous physical activity and sedentary time and cardiometabolic risk factors in children and adolescents.Jama. 2012; 307: 704-712
- Does physical activity attenuate, or even eliminate, the detrimental association of sitting time with mortality? A harmonised meta-analysis of data from more than 1 million men and women.Lancet. 2016; 388: 1302-1310
- Sedentary behavior and cardiovascular disease risk: mediating mechanisms.Exerc. Sport Sci. Rev. 2017; 45: 80-86
- Vascular adaptation to exercise in humans: role of hemodynamic stimuli.Physiol. Rev. 2017; 97: 495-528
- Effects of exercise modalities on arterial stiffness and wave reflection: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.PLoS One. 2014; 9e110034
- Influence of lifestyle modification on arterial stiffness and wave reflections.Am. J. Hypertens. 2005; 18: 137-144
- Vascular endothelium-derived factors and arterial stiffness in strength- and endurance-trained men.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2007; 292: H786-H791
- Arterial stiffness and sedentary lifestyle: role of oxidative stress.Vasc. Pharmacol. 2016; 79: 1-5
- Effect of different intensities of exercise on endothelium-dependent vasodilation in humans: role of endothelium-dependent nitric oxide and oxidative stress.Circulation. 2003; 108: 530-535
- Effect of exercise training on C reactive protein: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised and non-randomised controlled trials.Br. J. Sports Med. 2017; 51: 670-676
- Exercise modalities and endothelial function: a systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials.Sports Med. (Auckland, NZ). 2015; 45: 279-296
- Discrete features of sedentary behavior impact cardiometabolic risk factors.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 2015; 47: 1079-1086
- Breaking up of prolonged sitting over three days sustains, but does not enhance, lowering of postprandial plasma glucose and insulin in overweight and obese adults.Clin. Sci. (London, England: 1979). 2015; 129: 117-127
- Increased central artery stiffness in impaired glucose metabolism and type 2 diabetes: the Hoorn Study.Hypertension. 2004; 43: 176-181
- Inflammation and arterial stiffness in humans.Atherosclerosis. 2014; 237: 381-390
- The structural factor of hypertension: large and small artery alterations.Circ. Res. 2015; 116: 1007-1021