- •In 2017, the nationwide familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH) screening programme was started in Lithuania.
- •Screening for elevated LDL-C levels can identify patients with possible FH.
- •Primary prevention programme could be used for detection of possible FH.
- •1 in 67 middle-aged patients have likely FH phenotype in Lithuania.
- •Examining subjects with possible FH will help identify FH “index cases”.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- A review on the diagnosis, natural history, and treatment of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 168: 1-14
- Genetic causes of monogenic heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: a HuGE prevalence review.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2004; 160: 407-420
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: underdiagnosed and undertreated.Eur. Heart J. 2008; 29: 2583-2584
- Consensus Panel statement on homozygous FH.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 242: 323-326
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in the Danish general population: prevalence, coronary artery disease, and cholesterol-lowering medication.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2012; 97: 3956-3964
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: clues to catching it early.J. Fam. Pract. 2015 August; 64: 464-469
- Integrated guidance on the care of familial hypercholesterolaemia from the International FH Foundation.Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 171: 309-325
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34 (3478– 3490a)
- Extent of underdiagnosis of familial hypercholesterolaemia in routine practice: prospective registry study.BMJ. 2000; 321: 148
- Clinical Guidelines and Evidence Review for Familial Hypercholesterolaemia: the Identification and Management of Adults and Children with Familial Hypercholesterolaemia.National Collaborating Centre for Primary Care and Royal College of General Practitioners, London2008
- Mortality in treated heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: implications for clinical management.Atherosclerosis. 1999; 142: 105-112
- Opportunistic screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia via a community laboratory.Ann. Clin. Biochem. 2012; 49: 534-537
- National lipid association expert panel on familial hypercholesterolemia. Familial hypercholesterolemias: prevalence, genetics, diagnosis and screening recommendations from the national lipid association expert panel on familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin.Lipidol. 2011; 5: S9-S17
- Risk of fatal coronary heart disease in familial hypercholesterolaemia.BMJ. 1991; 303: 893-896
- Diagnosing heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia using new practical criteria validated by molecular genetics.Am. J. Cardiol. 1993; 72: 171-176
- Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH): Report of a Second WHO Consultation.World Health Organization, Geneva1999
- Causes of death 2016. Health Information Centre of the Institute of Hygiene, Vilnius2017
- The prevalence of dislipidemia and its relation to other risk factors: a nationwide survey of Lithuania.J. Clin.Lipidol. 2015; 10: 219-225
- Causes of death – standardized death rate, 2014 [Datafile].2017 (Retrieved from)http://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/statistics-explained/index.php/File:Causes_of_death_—_standardised_death_rate,_2014_(per_100_000_inhabitants)_YB17.png
- Screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia.Pathology. 2012; 44: 122-128
- Cost effectiveness analysis of different approaches of screening for familial hypercholesterolaemia.BMJ. 2002; 324: 1303
- Cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolemia and the use of genetic testing.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2017; 318: 381-382
- Impact of interpretative commenting on lipid profiles in people at high risk of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Clin. Chim. Acta. 2013; 422: 21-25
- Discriminative ability of LDL-cholesterol to identify patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: a cross-sectional study in 26,406 individuals tested for genetic FH.Circ.Cardiovasc.Genet. 2012; 5: 354-359
- Lithuanian high cardiovascular risk (LitHiR) primary prevention programme – rationale and design.Semin.Cardiovasc. Med. 2012; 18: 3
- 2016 european guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: the sixth joint task force of the european society of Cardiology and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts): developed with the special contribution of the european association for cardiovascular prevention & rehabilitation (EACPR).Eur. Heart J. 1 August 2016; 37: 2315-2381https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehw106
The Lithuanian Department of Statistics, Vilnius; 2017.
- A comparative analysis of phenotypic predictors of mutations in familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2018;
- A systematic review of current studies in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia by use of national familial hypercholesterolemia registries.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2016; 27: 388-397
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: a global call to arms.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 257
- Universal screening for familial hypercholesterolemia in children.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1250-1257
- International developments in the care of familial hypercholesterolemia: where now and where to next?.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2016; 23: 505-519
- Design of the familial hypercholesterolaemia australasia network registry: creating opportunities for greater international collaboration.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2017; 24: 1075-1084
- Defining the challenges of FH screening for familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin.Lipidol. 2010; 4: 338-341
- ScreenPro FH - screening project for familial hypercholesterolemia in central, southern and eastern Europe: basic epidemiology.Vnitr. Lek. 2017; 63: 25-30
- Comparison of genetic versus clinical diagnosis in familial hypercholesterolemia.Am. J. Cardiol. 2008; 102 (1193.e1.): 1187-1193
- Improving identification of familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care: derivation and validation of the familial hypercholesterolaemia case ascertainment tool (FAMCAT).Atherosclerosis. 2015; 238: 336-343
- A new electronic screening tool for identifying risk of familial hypercholesterolaemia in general practice.Heart. 2016; 102: 855-861
- Identifying patients with familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care: an informatics-based approach in one primary care centre.Heart. 2008; 94: 754-758
- Systematic detection of familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary health care: a community based prospective study of three methods.Heart Lung Circ. 2015; 24: 250-256
- Screening for hypercholesterolaemia versus case finding for familial hypercholesterolaemia: a systematic review and cost-effectiveness analysis.Health Technol. Assess. 2000; 4: 1-123
- Cost effectiveness of cascade testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia, based on data from familial hypercholesterolaemia services in the UK.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 1832-1839
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: summary of NICE guidance.BMJ. 2008; 337 (a1095)
- The relationship of molecular genetic to clinical diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia in a Danish population.Atherosclerosis. 2005; 180: 155-160
- Improving the cost-effectiveness equation of cascade testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2015; 26: 162-168
- Update and analysis of the University College London low density lipoprotein receptor familial hypercholesterolemia database.Ann. Hum. Genet. 2008; 72: 485-498
- Comparison of the risk of fatal coronary heart disease in treated xanthomatous and non-xanthomatous heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: a prospective registry study.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 170: 73-78
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: a model of care for Australasia.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2011; 12: 221-263
- Feasibility of improving identification of familial hypercholesterolaemia in general practice: intervention development study.Br. Med. J.Open. 2016; 6 (e011734)
- Can patients be accurately assessed for familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care?.Heart Lung Circ. 2014 Dec; 23: 1153-1157
- Diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia in general practice using clinical diagnostic criteria or genetic testing as part of cascade genetic screening.Community Genet. 2008; 11: 26-35
- Detection and management of familial hypercholesterolaemia in primary care in Australia: protocol for a pragmatic cluster intervention study with pre-post intervention comparisons.Br. Med. J.Open. 2017; 7 (e017539)