- •Familial hypercholesterolaemia (FH) is not well studied in Vietnam.
- •Homozygous and heterozygous FH are severe disorders that requires early detection and treatment, however treatment with statins, apheresis and novel therapies is a challenging healthcare gap in Vietnam.
- •Owing to large pedigrees, cascade screening in Vietnam is a highly effective method of diagnosing new cases of FH in family members once an index case has been identified.
- •A lower LDL-cholesterol thresholds should be employed in the Vietnamese population for diagnosing FH.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Integrated guidance on the care of familial hypercholesterolaemia from the international FH foundation.Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 171: 309-325
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: new insights and guidance for clinicians to improve detection and clinical management. A position paper from the Consensus Panel on Familial Hypercholesterolaemia of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35 (ehu274): 2146-2157
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease.Eur. Heart J. 2013; : 34
- The evaluation of cascade testing for familial hypercholesterolemia.Am. J. Med. Genet. 2012; 158: 78-84
- Clinical experience of scoring criteria for Familial Hypercholesterolaemia (FH) genetic testing in Wales.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 240: 190-196
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia in children and adolescents: gaining decades of life by optimizing detection and treatment.Eur. Heart J. 2015; 36: 2425-2437
- Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge.Clin. Chem. 1972; 18: 499-502
- Genetic analysis of familial hypercholesterolaemia in Western Australia.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 224: 430-434
- Development of sensitive and specific age-and gender-specific low-density lipoprotein cholesterol cutoffs for diagnosis of first-degree relatives with familial hypercholesterolaemia in cascade testing.Clin. Chem. Lab. Med. 2008; 46: 791-803
ExAC, Exome Aggregation Consortium. http://exac.broadinstitute.org/.
- Reverse cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolemia in high-risk Chinese families.Clin. Cardiol. 2017; 40: 1169-1173
- Universal health insurance coverage in Vietnam: a stakeholder analysis from policy proposal (1989) to implementation (2014).J. Publ. Health Manag. Pract. 2018; 24 (Public Health in Vietnam): S52-S59
- An enquiry based on a standardised questionnaire into knowledge, awareness and preferences concerning the care of familial hypercholesterolaemia among primary care physicians in the Asia-Pacific region: the “Ten Countries Study”.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e017817
- Phenotypic variation in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia a comparison of Chinese patients with the same or similar mutations in the LDL receptor gene in China or Canada.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1998; 18: 309-315
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in China. Identification of mutations in the LDL-receptor gene that result in a receptor-negative phenotype.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1994; 14: 85-94
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in asian populations.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2016; 23: 539-549
- Familial hypercholesterolemia in China: prevalence and evidence of underdetection and undertreatment in a community population.Int. J. Cardiol. 2014; 174: 834-836
- Child–parent familial hypercholesterolemia screening in primary care.N. Engl. J. Med. 2016; 375: 1628-1637
- Universal screening for familial hypercholesterolemia in children.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1250-1257
- Survival in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia is determined by the on-treatment level of serum cholesterol.Eur. Heart J. 2017; (ehx317)
- Improved cardiovascular outcomes following temporal advances in lipid-lowering therapy in a genetically-characterised cohort of familial hypercholesterolaemia homozygotes.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 328-333
- Reduction in mortality in subjects with homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia associated with advances in lipid-lowering therapy.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2202-2207
- Toward an international consensus—integrating lipoprotein apheresis and new lipid-lowering drugs.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2017; 11 (e853): 858-871
- Low-density lipoprotein apheresis: an evidence-based analysis.Ontario Health Technology Assessment Series. 2007; 7: 1-101
- Prevalence and treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia in Australian communities.Int. J. Cardiol. 2015; 185: 69-71
- Translational research for improving the care of familial hypercholesterolemia: the “ten countries study” and beyond.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2016; 23: 891-900
- Pooling and expanding registries of familial hypercholesterolaemia to assess gaps in care and improve disease management and outcomes: rationale and design of the global EAS Familial Hypercholesterolaemia Studies Collaboration.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2016; 22: 1-32
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: a global call to arms.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 243: 257-259
- International developments in the care of familial hypercholesterolemia: where now and where to next?.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2016; 23: 505-519
- The extent of familial hypercholesterolemia instruction in US schools and colleges of medicine, pharmacy, and osteopathic medicine.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2015; 9: 281-288