- •Celebrating Christmas is associated with higher levels of total and LDL cholesterol.
- •Celebrating Christmas is associated with a higher risk of hypercholesterolemia.
- •A diagnosis of hypercholesterolemia should not be made around Christmas.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The Little Book of Hygge.William Morrow, 2017
- Comparison of effects of long-term low-fat vs high-fat diets on blood lipid levels in overweight or obese patients: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Acad. Nutr. Diet. 2013; 113: 1640-1661https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jand.2013.07.010
- The Christmas feast.Br. Med. J. 1985; 291: 1764-1765
- Cardiovascular Disease: Risk Assessment and Reduction, Including Lipid Modification.2014https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg181/chapter/1-Recommendations#lipid-modification-therapy-for-the-primary-and-secondary-prevention-of-cvd-2Date accessed: June 26, 2018
- ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias the task force for the management of dyslipidaemias of the European society of cardiology (ESC) and the European atherosclerosis society (EAS).Atherosclerosis. 2011; 217: 3-46
- Change in body mass index associated with lowest mortality in Denmark, 1976-2013.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2016; 315: 1989-1996
- High lipoprotein(a) as a possible cause of clinical familial hypercholesterolaemia: a prospective cohort study.Lancet Diab. Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 577-587
- Immediate rewards predict adherence to long-term goals.Pers. Soc. Psychol. Bull. 2017; 43: 151-162
- Lipids seasonal variability in type 2 diabetes.Metabolism. 2012; 61: 1674-1677
- Seasonal cholesterol cycles: the lipid research clinics coronary primary prevention trial placebo group.Circulation. 1987; 76: 1224-1231
- Cholesterol level in human serum: seasonal variations and differences in 14 distant regions.Ann. Clin. Lab. Sci. 2013; 43: 407-413
- Serum-cholesterol in normal subjects in Denmark.Lancet. 1961; 2: 1383-1385
- Seasonality of cardiovascular risk factors: an analysis including over 230 000 participants in 15 countries.Heart. 2014; 100: 1517-1523https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2014-305623
- Impact of seasonality on the prevalence of dyslipidemia: a large population study.Chronobiol. Int. 2013; 30: 1011-1015https://doi.org/10.3109/07420528.2013.793698
- Seasonal variation in serum cholesterol levels: treatment implications and possible mechanisms.Arch. Intern. Med. 2004; 164: 863-870
- Seasonal variation in serum cholesterol levels--evidence from the UK and Japan.Atherosclerosis. 1992; 95: 15-24
- Seasonal variation in lipids in patients following acute coronary syndrome on fixed doses of pravastatin (40 mg) or atorvastatin (80 mg) (from the pravastatin or atorvastatin evaluation and infection therapy-thrombolysis in myocardial infarction 22 [PROVE IT-TIMI 22] study).Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 103: 1056-1060
- Extent of undertreatment and overtreatment with cholesterol-lowering therapy according to European guidelines in 92,348 Danes without ischemic cardiovascular disease and diabetes in 2004-2014.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 257: 9-15