- •High LDL triglycerides are associated with increased cardiovascular mortality, both in males and females.
- •LDL triglycerides are strongly associated with variants in the hepatic lipase region, both in males and females.
- •Low hepatic lipase acitivity implicates high LDL triglycerides.
- •Low hepatic lipase activity appears to be a causal cardiovascular risk factor.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:HDL (high density lipoprotein), HERITAGE (Health Risk Factors Exercise Training and Genetics), IDL (intermediate density lipoprotein), LDL (low density lipoprotein), LURIC (Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health), SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism), VLDL (very low density lipoprotein)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Fasting triglycerides predict recurrent ischemic events in patients with acute coronary syndrome treated with statins.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 65: 2267-2275
- Association of serum lipids and coronary heart disease in contemporary observational studies.Circulation. 2016; 133: 256-264
- Major lipids, apolipoproteins, and risk of vascular disease.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2009; 302: 1993-2000
- Efficacy and safety of LDL-lowering therapy among men and women: meta-analysis of individual data from 174,000 participants in 27 randomised trials.Lancet. 2015; 385: 1397-1405
- Triglyceride-mediated pathways and coronary disease: collaborative analysis of 101 studies.Lancet. 2010; 375: 1634-1639
- Association between lowering LDL-C and cardiovascular risk reduction among different therapeutic interventions: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2016; 316: 1289-1297
- Genetically low triglycerides and mortality: further support for "the earlier the better"?.Clin. Chem. 2014; 60: 705-707
- Authors/task force members.; additional contributor. 2016 ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias.Eur. Heart J. 2016; 37: 2999-3058
- American College of Cardiology/American heart association task force on practice guidelines. 2013 ACC/AHA guideline on the treatment of blood cholesterol to reduce atherosclerotic cardiovascular risk in adults: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American heart association task force on practice guidelines.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 63: 2889-2934
- FIELD study investigators. Effects of long-term fenofibrate therapy on cardiovascular events in 9795 people with type 2 diabetes mellitus (the FIELD study): randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1849-1861
- Effects of combination lipid therapy in type 2 diabetes mellitus.N. Engl. J. Med. 2010; 362: 1563-1574
- Low-density lipoprotein triglycerides associated with low-grade systemic inflammation, adhesion molecules, and angiographic coronary artery disease: the Ludwigshafen Risk and Cardiovascular Health study.Circulation. 2004; 110: 3068-3074
- LURIC Study Group (LUdwigshafen RIsk and Cardiovascular Health). Rationale and design of the LURIC study--a resource for functional genomics, pharmacogenomics and long-term prognosis of cardiovascular disease.Pharmacogenomics. 2001; 2: S1-S73
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol, coronary artery disease, and cardiovascular mortality.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3563-3571
- The HERITAGE family study. Aims, design, and measurement protocol.Med. Sci. Sports Exerc. 1995; 27: 721-729
- Does lipoprotein or hepatic lipase activity explain the protective lipoprotein profile of premenopausal women?.Metabolism. 1995; 44: 491-498
- Genotype imputation.Annu. Rev. Genom. Hum. Genet. 2009; 10: 387-406
- Hepatic lipase gene variant -514C>T is associated with lipoprotein and insulin sensitivity response to regular exercise: the HERITAGE Family Study.Diabetes. 2005; 54: 2251-2255
- A comprehensive 1,000 Genomes-based genome-wide association meta-analysis of coronary artery disease.Nat. Genet. 2015; 47: 1121-1130
- Classification and diagnosis of diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39: S13-S22
- Probabel package for genome-wide association analysis of imputed data.BMC Bioinf. 2010; 11: 134
- The MR-Base platform supports systematic causal inference across the human phenome.eLife. 2018; 7e34408
- Nonfasting triglycerides and risk of myocardial infarction, ischemic heart disease, and death in men and women.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2007; 298: 299-308
- Low hepatic lipase activity is a novel risk factor for coronary artery disease.Circulation. 2001; 104: 3057-3062
- Post-heparin lipolytic enzyme activities, sex hormones and sex hormone-binding globulin (SHBG) in men and women: the HERITAGE Family Study.Atherosclerosis. 2003; 171: 343-350
- Hepatic lipase mutations,elevated high-density lipoprotein cholesterol, and increased risk of ischemic heart disease: the Copenhagen City Heart Study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2003; 41: 1972-1982
- Relation of plaque lipid composition and morphology to the stability of human aortic plaques.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1997; 17: 1337-1345
- C-reactive protein and other markers of inflammation in the prediction of cardiovascular disease in women.N. Engl. J. Med. 2000; 342: 836-843
- Endotoxin and interleukin-1 decrease hepatic lipase mRNA levels.Atherosclerosis. 1999; 142: 379-387
- Association of lipid fractions with risks for coronary artery disease and diabetes.JAMA Cardiol. 2016 Sep 1; 1: 692-699