- •Collateral circulation status and final infarct volume (FIV) are independent outcome predictors after an AIS.
- •We evaluated the association of statin pretreatment (SP) on collateral circulation and FIV in AIS patients.
- •SP was associated with lower FIV compared to no SP, especially in atherosclerotic AIS.
- •A trend towards good collateral scores was observed in the SP group.
- •SP appears to be associated with decreased FIV after AIS, possibly due to more favorable collateral circulation.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Statin pretreatment is associated with better outcomes in large artery atherosclerotic stroke.Neurology. 2016; 86: 1103-1111
- Preferential effect of premorbid statins on atherothrombotic strokes through collateral circulation enhancement.Eur. Neurol. 2012; 68: 171-176
- Statin pretreatment and microembolic signals in large artery atherosclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Stroke. 2018; 49: 1992-1995
- Statin enhancement of collateralization in acute stroke.Neurology. 2007; 68: 2129-2131
- Role of statin in atrial fibrillation-related stroke: an angiographic study for collateral flow.Cerebrovasc. Dis. (Basel, Switzerland). 2014; 37: 77-84
- Statin use is independently associated with smaller infarct volume in nonlacunar mca territory stroke.J. Neuroimaging: Off. J. Am. Soc. Neuroimaging. 2006; 16: 341-346
- The prisma statement for reporting systematic reviews and meta-analyses of studies that evaluate health care interventions: explanation and elaboration.J. Clin. Epidemiol. 2009; 62: e1-34
- Heart failure and the risk of ischemic stroke recurrence: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Neurol. Sci. 2016; 362: 182-187
- Collaterals at angiography and outcomes in the interventional management of stroke (ims) iii trial.Stroke. 2014; 45: 759-764
- Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions.2005
- Admission systolic blood pressure and outcomes in large vessel occlusion strokes treated with endovascular treatment.J. Neurointerventional Surg. 2017; 9: 451-454
- Previous statin use and high-resolution magnetic resonance imaging characteristics of intracranial atherosclerotic plaque: the intensive statin treatment in acute ischemic stroke patients with intracranial atherosclerosis study.Stroke. 2016; 47: 1789-1796
- Collateral flow as causative of good outcomes in endovascular stroke therapy.J. Neurointerventional Surg. 2016; 8: 2-7
- Degree of collaterals and not time is the determining factor of core infarct volume within 6 hours of stroke onset.AJNR. Am. J. Neuroradiol. 2015; 36: 1272-1276
- Baseline collateral circulation is associated with early outcomes in patients with large-vessel occlusion acute ischemic stroke treated with mechanical thrombectomy.Νevrologia. 2018; 27: 6-13
- Leptomeningeal collaterals are associated with modifiable metabolic risk factors.Ann. Neurol. 2013; 74: 241-248
- Early arrival at the emergency department is associated with better collaterals, smaller established infarcts and better clinical outcomes with endovascular stroke therapy: SWIFT study.J. Neurointerventional Surg. 2016; 8: 553-558