- •The p.(Leu167del) mutation in APOE has been described as a new cause of familial hypercholesterolemia (FH).
- •The p.(Leu167del) carriers were on significantly lower dose of statin than LDLR FH.
- •The p.(Leu167del) carriers had higher lipid-lowering effect to statins than LDLR FH.
- •Our results support the use of genetics for a more efficient management of FH.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Monogenic hypercholesterolemia: new insights in pathogenesis and treatment.J. Clin. Invest. 2003; 111: 1795-1803https://doi.org/10.1172/JCI18925
- European Atherosclerosis Society Consensus Panel, Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490ahttps://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/eht273
- The genetic basis of familial hypercholesterolemia: inheritance, linkage, and mutations.Appl. Clin. Genet. 2010; 3: 53-64
- Use of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol gene score to distinguish patients with polygenic and monogenic familial hypercholesterolaemia: a case-control study.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1293-1301https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62127-8
- Single nucleotide variants associated with polygenic hypercholesterolemia in families diagnosed clinically with familial hypercholesterolemia.Rev. Esp. Cardiol. 2018; 71: 351-356https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rec.2017.07.010
- Apolipoprotein E gene mutations in subjects with mixed hyperlipidemia and a clinical diagnosis of familial combined hyperlipidemia.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 222: 449-455https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2012.03.011
- APOE p.Leu167del mutation in familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 231: 218-222https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2013.09.007
- Spectrum of mutations in Italian patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: new results from the LIPIGEN study.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2017; 29: 17-24https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosissup.2017.07.002
- A century of cholesterol and coronaries: from plaques to genes to statins.Cell. 2015; 161: 161-172https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cell.2015.01.036
- The p.Leu167del Mutation in APOE Gene Causes Autosomal Dominant Hypercholesterolemia by Down-regulation of LDL Receptor Expression in Hepatocytes.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2016; 101: 2113-2121https://doi.org/10.1210/jc.2015-3874
- 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA guideline on the management of blood cholesterol: a report of the American college of cardiology/American heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018; https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.003
- ENHANCE Investigators, Simvastatin with or without ezetimibe in familial hypercholesterolemia.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 1431-1443https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0800742
- Simon Broome Familial Hyperlipidaemia Register Group and Scientific Steering Committee, Genetic causes of familial hypercholesterolaemia in patients in the UK: relation to plasma lipid levels and coronary heart disease risk.J. Med. Genet. 2006; 43: 943-949https://doi.org/10.1136/jmg.2006.038356
- Molecular characterization of familial hypercholesterolemia in Spain.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 221: 137-142https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2011.12.021
- ABCG5/G8 gene is associated with hypercholesterolemias without mutation in candidate genes and noncholesterol sterols.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2017; 11 (e4): 1432-1440https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2017.09.005
- International Panel on management of familial hypercholesterolemia, guidelines for the diagnosis and management of heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2004; 173: 55-68https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2003.11.010
- Association between the presence of carotid artery plaque and cardiovascular events in patients with genetic hypercholesterolemia.Rev. Esp. Cardiol. 2017; 70: 551-558https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rec.2017.01.023
- Apolipoprotein E isoforms and lipoprotein metabolism.IUBMB Life. 2014; 66: 616-623https://doi.org/10.1002/iub.1314
- Statins as effectors of key activities involved in apoE-dependent VLDL metabolism: review and hypothesis.Vasc. Pharmacol. 2008; 48: 70-75https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vph.2007.12.001
- Lipoprotein(a) mass levels increase significantly according to APOE genotype: an analysis of 431 239 patients.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2017; 37: 580-588https://doi.org/10.1161/ATVBAHA.116.308704
- Effect of apolipoprotein E and A-IV phenotypes on the low density lipoprotein response to HMG CoA reductase inhibitor therapy.Atherosclerosis. 1995; 113: 157-166
- Impact of pharmacogenetics on efficacy and safety of statin therapy for dyslipidemia.Pharmacotherapy. 2017; 37: 1172-1190https://doi.org/10.1002/phar.1981
- Biochemistry of statins.Adv. Clin. Chem. 2016; 73: 127-168https://doi.org/10.1016/bs.acc.2015.10.005