- •Alpha-cyclodextrin (ACD) inhibits deposition of complement activation products on cholesterol crystals.
- •ACD inhibits binding of C1q (via IgM) and ficolin-2 to cholesterol crystals.
- •ACD inhibits phagocytosis and production of ROS in granulocytes and monocytes.
- •ACD dissolves cholesterol crystals over time.
Background and aims
Cholesterol crystal (CC)-induced inflammation is a critical step in the development of atherosclerosis. CCs activate the complement system and induce an inflammatory response resulting in phagocytosis of the CCs, production of reactive oxygen species (ROS) and release of cytokines. The cyclodextrin 2-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin has been found to reduce CC-induced complement activation and induce regression of established atherosclerotic plaques in a mouse model of atherosclerosis, thus inhibition of complement with cyclodextrins is a potential new strategy for treatment of inflammation during atherosclerosis. We hypothesized that other cyclodextrins, like α-cyclodextrin, may have related functions.
The effect of cyclodextrins on CC-induced complement activation, phagocytosis, and production of ROS from granulocytes and monocytes was investigated by flow cytometry and ELISA.
We showed that α-cyclodextrin strongly inhibited CC-induced complement activation by inhibiting binding of the pattern recognition molecules C1q (via IgM) and ficolin-2. The reduced CC-induced complement activation mediated by α-cyclodextrin resulted in reduced phagocytosis and reduced ROS production in monocytes and granulocytes. Alpha-cyclodextrin was the most effective inhibitor of CC-induced complement activation, with the reduction in deposition of complement activation products being significantly different from the reduction induced by 2-hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin. We also found that α-cyclodextrin was able to dissolve CCs.
This study identified α-cyclodextrin as a potential candidate in the search for therapeutics to prevent CC-induced inflammation in atherosclerosis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- European Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice.Eur Heart J. 2016; 37 (2016): 2315-2381
- Neutrophil extracellular traps license macrophages for cytokine production in atherosclerosis.Science (80- ). 2015; 349: 316-320
- NLRP3 inflammasomes are required for atherogenesis and activated by cholesterol crystals.Nature. 2010; 464: 1357-1361
- Identification of cholesterol crystals in plaques of atherosclerotic mice using hyperspectral CARS imaging.J. Lipid Res. 2011; 52: 2177-2186
- George Lyman Duff memorial lecture. Progression and regression of atherosclerotic lesions. Insights from lipid physical biochemistry.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 1988; 8: 103-129
- Mechanisms of complement activation by crystalline cholesterol.Mol. Immunol. 1985; 22: 101-106
- Generation of complement anaphylatoxins and C5b-9 by crystalline cholesterol oxidation derivatives depends on hydroxyl group number and position.Mol. Immunol. 1987; 24: 1303-1308
- Cholesterol and atheroma lipids activate complement and stimulate granulocytes. A possible mechanism for amplification of ischemic injury in atherosclerotic states.J. Lab. Clin. Med. 1981; 98: 68-77
- Cholesterol crystals activate the lectin complement pathway via ficolin-2 and mannose-binding lectin: implications for the progression of atherosclerosis.J. Immunol. 2016; 196: 5064-5074
- Cholesterol crystals activate the NLRP3 inflammasome in human macrophages: a novel link between cholesterol metabolism and inflammation.PLoS One. 2010; 5
- Cholesterol crystals induce complement-dependent inflammasome activation and cytokine release.J Immunol J Immunol. March 2014; 15
- Complement activation by cholesterol crystals triggers a subsequent cytokine response.Mol. Immunol. 2017; 84: 43-50
- Activation of the human terminal complement pathway in atherosclerosis.Clin. Immunol. Immunopathol. 1987; 45: 147-155
- Immunoglobulins and complement components in human aortic atherosclerotic intima.Atherosclerosis. 1985; 55: 35-50
- Immunohistochemical localization of the terminal C5b-9 complement complex in human aortic fibrous plaque.Atherosclerosis. 1985; 57: 163-177
- Accumulation of IgG and complement factor C3 in human arterial endothelium and atherosclerotic lesions.APMIS A. 1984; 92: 429-435
- Cyclodextrin promotes atherosclerosis regression via macrophage reprogramming.Sci. Transl. Med. 2016; 8: 333ra50
- Cyclodextrin reduces cholesterol crystal-induced inflammation by modulating complement activation.J. Immunol. 2017; 199: 2910-2920
- Interactions between cyclodextrins and cellular components: towards greener medical applications?.Beilstein J. Org. Chem. 2016; 12: 2644-2662
- Compstatin analog Cp40 inhibits complement dysregulation in vitro in C3 glomerulopathy HHS Public Access.Immunobiology. 2015; 220: 993-998
- Quantification in Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay of a C3 Neoepitope Expressed on Activated Human Complement Factor C3. vol. 27. ScandJ Immunol Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 1988: 329-335
- Quantification of the Terminal Complement Complex in Human Plasma by an Enzyme-Linked Immunosorbent Assay Based on Monoclonal Antibodies against a Neoantigen of the Complex. vol. 22. Scand J Immunol Blackwell Publishing Ltd, 1985: 197-202
- A specific assay for quantification of human C4c by use of an anti-C4c monoclonal antibody.J. Immunol. Methods. 2014; 405: 87-96
- Cyclodextrins: Assessing the Impact of Cavity Size, Occupancy, and Substitutions on Cytotoxicity and Cholesterol Homeostasis. vol. 23. Molecules Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 2018: 1228
- Dietary α-cyclodextrin lowers low-density lipoprotein cholesterol and alters plasma fatty acid profile in low-density lipoprotein receptor knockout mice on a high-fat diet.Metabolism. 2008; 57: 1046-1051
- Dietary α-cyclodextrin reduces atherosclerosis and modifies gut flora in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Mol. Nutr. Food Res. 2017; 61: 1600804
- The benefits of early intervention in obese diabetic patients with FBCx: a new dietary fibre.Diabetes Metab Res Rev. 2007; 23: 56-62
- The beneficial effects α-cyclodextrin on blood lipids and weight loss in healthy humans.Obesity. 2011; 19: 1200-1204
- Randomized double blind clinical trial on the effect of oral α-cyclodextrin on serum lipids.Lipids Health Dis. 2016; 15: 115
- Cyclodextrins and iatrogenic hearing loss: new drugs with significant risk.Front. Cell. Neurosci. 2017; 11
- 2-Hydroxypropyl-β-Cyclodextrin raises hearing threshold in normal cats and in cats with niemann-pick type C disease.Pediatr. Res. 2010; 68: 52-56
- Hearing loss and hair cell death in mice given the cholesterol-chelating agent hydroxypropyl-β-cyclodextrin.PLoS One. 2012; 7
- Efficacy and ototoxicity of different cyclodextrins in Niemann–Pick C disease.Ann Clin Transl Neurol. 2016; 3: 366-380
- Cyclodextrin nephrosis in the rat.Am. J. Pathol. 1976; 83: 367-382
Published online: February 03, 2019
Accepted: January 23, 2019
Received in revised form: December 13, 2018
Received: November 13, 2018
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.