- •PCSK9 inhibition is a pivotal approach for LDL cholesterol-lowering.
- •PCSK9 inhibition using monoclonal antibodies is short-term and not cost-effective.
- •We tested the efficacy of a nanoliposomal PCSK9-specific active vaccine.
- •The tested nanoliposomal vaccine induced humoral immunity against PCSK9 in BALB/c mice.
- •The tested vaccine was also safe and induced long-term generation of anti-PCSK9 antibodies.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- The PCSK9 decade thematic review series: new lipid and lipoprotein targets for the treatment of cardiometabolic diseases.J. Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 2515-2524
- Secreted PCSK9 downregulates low density lipoprotein receptor through receptor-mediated endocytosis.J. Lipid Res. 2007; 48: 1488-1498
- Acid-dependent ligand dissociation and recycling of LDL receptor mediated by growth factor homology region.Nature. 1986; 326: 760-765
- Structure of the LDL receptor extracellular domain at endosomal pH.Science. 2002; 298: 2353-2358
- Deletion of two growth-factor repeats from the low-density-lipoprotein receptor accelerates its degradation.Biochem. J. 1991; 277: 677-682
- Binding of proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 to epidermal growth factor-like repeat A of low density lipoprotein receptor decreases receptor recycling and increases degradation.J. Biol. Chem. 2007; 282: 18602-18612
- Molecular basis for LDL receptor recognition by PCSK9.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. Unit. States Am. 2008; 105: 1820-1825
- The safety of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies: implications for cardiovascular disease and targeting the PCSK9 pathway.Atherosclerosis. 2013; 228: 18-28
- PCSK9 Inhibitors: potential in cardiovascular therapeutics.Curr. Cardiol. Rep. 2013; 15: 1-12
- New therapies targeting apoB metabolism for high-risk patients with inherited dyslipidaemias: what can the clinician expect?.Cardiovasc. Drugs Ther. 2013; 27: 559-567
- 2015 FDA Approves Praluent to Treat Certain Patients with High Cholesterol.
- Efficacy and safety of alirocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 1489-1499
- 2015 FDA Approves Repatha to Treat Certain Patients with High Cholestero L.
- Efficacy and safety of evolocumab in reducing lipids and cardiovascular events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 1500-1509
- Cost-effectiveness of PCSK9 inhibitor therapy in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia or atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2016; 316: 743-753
- Peptide-based anti-PCSK9 vaccines-an approach for long-term LDLc management.PLoS One. 2014; 9e114469
- Immunization against proprotein convertase subtilisin-like/kexin type 9 lowers plasma LDL-cholesterol levels in mice.J. Lipid Res. 2012; 53: 1654-1661
- A cholesterol-lowering VLP vaccine that targets PCSK9.Vaccine. 2015; 33: 5747-5755
- Antibody-mediated disruption of the interaction between PCSK9 and the low-density lipoprotein receptor.Biochem. J. 2009; 419: 577-584
- The crystal structure of PCSK9: a regulator of plasma LDL-cholesterol.Structure. 2007; 15: 545-552
- Development of AFFITOPE vaccines for Alzheimer's disease (AD)—from concept to clinical testing.JNHA-The Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging. 2009; 13: 264-267
- Phase I trial of a melanoma vaccine with gp100280–288 peptide and tetanus helper peptide in adjuvant: immunologic and clinical outcomes.Clin. Cancer Res. 2001; 7: 3012-3024
- Liposomes containing NY-ESO-1/tetanus toxoid and adjuvant peptides targeted to human dendritic cells via the Fc receptor for cancer vaccines.Nanomedicine. 2014; 9: 435-449
- Phosphorus assay in column chromatography.J. Biol. Chem. 1959; 234: 466-468
- Effect of evolocumab on progression of coronary disease in statin-treated patients: the GLAGOV randomized clinical trial.Jama. 2016; 316: 2373-2384
- Are PCSK9 inhibitors cost effective?.Pharmacoeconomics. 2018; 36: 1031-1041
- Therapeutic vaccination for chronic diseases: a new class of drugs in sight.Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2004; 3: 81
- Vaccine strategies for lowering LDL by immunization against proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2016; 27: 345-350
- The renin-angiotensin system and therapeutic vaccines for hypertension.Curr. Opin. Investig. Drugs. 2008; 9 (London, England: 2000): 286-294
- Neuropathology and pathogenesis of encephalitis following amyloid β immunization in Alzheimer's disease.Brain Pathol. 2004; 14: 11-20
- Adjuvant composition and delivery route shape immune response quality and protective efficacy of a recombinant vaccine for Entamoeba histolytica.npj Vaccines. 2018; 3: 22
- Conjugated nanoliposome with the HER2/neu-derived peptide GP2 as an effective vaccine against breast cancer in mice xenograft model.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0185099
- Nanoliposomes as the adjuvant delivery systems in cancer immunotherapy.J. Cell. Physiol. 2018; 233: 5189-5199
- Potential of Cationic Liposomes as Adjuvants/Delivery Systems for Tuberculosis Subunit Vaccines, Reviews of Physiology, Biochemistry and Pharmacology.2018
- Lambda phage nanoparticles displaying HER2-derived E75 peptide induce effective E75-CD8+ T response.Immunol. Res. 2018; 66: 200-206
- Negatively charged liposomes show potent adjuvant activity when simply admixed with protein antigens.Mol. Pharm. 2011; 8: 1174-1185
- Adjuvancy of Negatively-Charged Liposomes for Pulmonary Delivery of Vaccines, Pulmonary Delivery of Liposome-Based Vaccines: Application to a Murine Model of Schistosoma Mansoni Infection.2008: 32
- Comparison of the immune response against polio peptides covalently-surface-linked to and internally-entrapped in liposomes.Asian Pac. J. Allergy Immunol. 1991; 9: 25
- Liposomal vaccine: influence of antigen association on the kinetics of the humoral response.Vaccine. 1990; 8: 558-562
- Correlation between in vitro and in vivo behaviour of liposomal antigens.Vaccine. 1994; 12: 1125-1131
- NAVAL MEDICAL RESEARCH INST, BETHESDA MD1988 Antibody Responses to Liposome-Associated Antigen.
- Liposomal formulations of synthetic MUC1 peptides: effects of encapsulation versus surface display of peptides on immune responses.Bioconjug. Chem. 1998; 9: 451-458
- A therapeutic peptide vaccine against PCSK9.Sci. Rep. 2017; 7: 12534