- •The SAFEHEART risk equation is useful for selecting those patients with FH at the highest risk.
- •The SAFEHEART risk equation may also be useful to choose the most suitable patients with FH for treatment with PCSK9 mAbs.
- •This study shows how to rationalise the management of FH from a unidimensional lipid-target approach to a patient-centric strategy-based assessment of an individual's absolute risk.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Hypertension, and obesity in young committee of council on cardiovascular disease in young, council on cardiovascular and stroke nursing, council on functional genomics and translational biology, the agenda for familial hypercholesterolemia: a scientific statement from the American heart association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 2167-2192
- Prevalence of familial hypercholesterolemia in the 1999 to 2012 United States national health and nutrition examination surveys (NHANES).Circulation. 2016; 133: 1067-1072https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.115.018791
- Diagnostic yield and clinical utility of sequencing familial hypercholesterolemia genes in patients with severe hypercholesterolemia.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2578-2589https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.03.520
- Efficacy of statins in familial hypercholesterolaemia: a long term cohort study.BMJ. 2008; 337 (a2423–a2423)https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.a2423
- Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease risk assessment in familial hypercholesterolemia: does one size fit all?.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2018; 29: 445-452https://doi.org/10.1097/MOL.0000000000000553
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia: PCSK9 inhibitors are coming.Lancet. 2015; 385: 307-310https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61702-5
- Effect of alirocumab, a monoclonal antibody to PCSK9, on long-term cardiovascular outcomes following acute coronary syndromes: rationale and design of the ODYSSEY outcomes trial.Am. Heart J. 2014; 168: 682-689https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ahj.2014.07.028
- FOURIER steering committee and investigators, evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1615664
- Cost-effectiveness of PCSK9 inhibitor therapy in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia or atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2016; 316: 743https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2016.11004
- Evolocumab for treating primary hypercholesterolaemia and mixed dyslipidaemia: an evidence review group perspective of a NICE single technology appraisal.Pharmacoeconomics. 2017; 35: 537-547https://doi.org/10.1007/s40273-017-0492-6
- Update of ESC/EAS Task Force on practical clinical guidance for proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 inhibition in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease or in familial hypercholesterolaemia.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 39: 1131-1143https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx549
- Determining when to add nonstatin therapy: a quantitative approach.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 68: 2412-2421https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.09.928
- Predicting cardiovascular events in familial hypercholesterolemia: the SAFEHEART registry (Spanish familial hypercholesterolemia cohort study).Circulation. 2017; 135: 2133-2144https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.024541
- International atherosclerosis society severe familial hypercholesterolemia panel, defining severe familial hypercholesterolaemia and the implications for clinical management: a consensus statement from the international atherosclerosis society severe familial hypercholesterolemia panel.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 850-861https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(16)30041-9
- Cholesterol Treatment Trialists' (CTT) Collaborators, Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomised trials of statins.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1267-1278https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(05)67394-1
- Attainment of LDL-cholesterol treatment goals in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: 5-year SAFEHEART registry follow-up.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 1278-1285https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2016.01.008
- Efficacy and safety of alirocumab in high-risk patients with clinical atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease and/or heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia (from 5 placebo-controlled ODYSSEY trials).Am. J. Cardiol. 2018; 121: 940-948https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2017.12.040
- PCSK9 inhibition with evolocumab (AMG 145) in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia (RUTHERFORD-2): a randomised, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial.Lancet. 2015; 385: 331-340https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61399-4
- Efficacy and safety of the proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 monoclonal antibody alirocumab vs placebo in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2017; 11 (e4): 195-203https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2016.12.004
- AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA guideline on the management of blood cholesterol.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018; 2018https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.11.003
- Low-density lipoproteins cause atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease. 1. Evidence from genetic, epidemiologic, and clinical studies. A consensus statement from the European Atherosclerosis Society Consensus Panel.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 2459-2472https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx144
- Estimated individual lifetime benefit from PCSK9 inhibition in statin-treated patients with coronary artery disease.Heart. 2018; (heartjnl-2017-312510)https://doi.org/10.1136/heartjnl-2017-312510
- “Highest risk-highest benefit” strategy: a pragmatic, cost-effective approach to targeting use of PCSK9 inhibitor therapies.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 2546-2550https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx710
- Association between baseline LDL-C level and total and cardiovascular mortality after LDL-C lowering: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2018; 319: 1566-1579https://doi.org/10.1001/jama.2018.2525
- Distribution of estimated 10-year risk of recurrent vascular events and residual risk in a secondary prevention PopulationClinical perspective.Circulation. 2016; 134: 1419-1429https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.116.021314
- SAFEHEART investigators, Coronary computed tomographic angiography findings and their therapeutic implications in asymptomatic patients with familial hypercholesterolemia. Lessons from the SAFEHEART study.J. Clin. Lipidol. 2018; 12: 948-957https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacl.2018.04.003
- Survival in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia is determined by the on-treatment level of serum cholesterol.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 1162-1168https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx317
- The benefit model for prevention of cardiovascular disease.JAMA Cardiol. 2017; 2: 1175https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2017.2543
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (TRIPOD).Circulation. 2015; 131: 211-219https://doi.org/10.1161/CIRCULATIONAHA.114.014508