- •There is a mismatch in clinical and genetic familial hypercholesterolemia diagnosis.
- •Familial hypercholesterolemia is a syndrome including several entities.
- •Monogenic and polygenic familial hypercholesterolemia determines high vascular risk.
- •Familial hypercholesterolemia diagnosis has implications to access new therapies.
- •A new classification including all FH genotypes and phenotypes is warranted.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490
- Use of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol gene score to distinguish patients with polygenic and monogenic familial hypercholesterolaemia: a case-control study.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1293-1301
- ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias: the task force for the management of dyslipidaemias of the european society of cardiology (ESC) and european Atherosclerosis society (EAS) developed with the special contribution of the european association for cardiovascular prevention & rehabilitation (EACPR).Atherosclerosis. 2016; 253 (2016): 281-344
- European guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice: the sixth joint task force of the european society of cardiology and other societies on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice (constituted by representatives of 10 societies and by invited experts) developed with the special contribution of the european association for cardiovascular prevention & rehabilitation (EACPR).Atherosclerosis. 2016; 252 (2016): 207-274
- Update of ESC/EAS Task Force on practical clinical guidance for proprotein convertase subtilisin/kexin type 9 inhibition in patients with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease or in familial hypercholesterolaemia.Eur. Heart J. 2017; (2017 Oct 16)https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehx549
- Dyslipidemia Registry of the Spanish Arteriosclerosis Society. How many familial hypercholesterolemia patients are eligible for PCSK9 inhibition?.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 262: 107-112
- Genetic architecture of familial hypercholesterolaemia.Curr. Cardiol. Rep. 2017; 19: 44
- European Atherosclerosis society consensus panel on familial hypercholesterolaemia. Homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: new insights and guidance for clinicians to improve detection and clinical management. A position paper from the consensus panel on familial hypercholesterolaemia of the european Atherosclerosis society.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 2146-2157
- Autosomal recessive hypercholesterolemia in Spain.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 269: 1-5
- Autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia in Catalonia: correspondence between clinical-biochemical and genetic diagnostics in 967 patients studied in a multicenter clinical setting.J Clin Lipidol. 2018; 12: 1452-1462
- Whole exome sequencing of familial hypercholesterolaemia patients negative for LDLR/APOB/PCSK9 mutations.J. Med. Genet. 2014; 51: 537-544
- Refinement of variant selection for the LDL cholesterol genetic risk score in the diagnosis of the polygenic form of clinical familial hypercholesterolemia and replication in samples from 6 countries.Clin. Chem. 2015; 61: 231-238
- Diagnostic yield and clinical utility of sequencing familial hypercholesterolemia genes in patients with severe hypercholesterolemia.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 2578-2589
- Metabolic study of variation in plasma cholesterol level in normal men.Lancet. 1984; 2: 663-665
- Hyperlipidemia in coronary heart disease. II. Genetic analysis of lipid levels in 176 families and delineation of a new inherited disorder, combined hyperlipidemia.J. Clin. Investig. 1973; 52: 1544-1568
- European Atherosclerosis Society Consensus Panel. The polygenic nature of hypertriglyceridaemia: implications for definition, diagnosis, and management.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2014; 2: 655-666
- The genetic architecture of the familial hyperlipidaemia syndromes: rare mutations and common variants in multiple genes.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2014; 25: 274-281
- Frequency of low-density lipoprotein receptor gene mutations in patients with a clinical diagnosis of familial combined hyperlipidemia in a clinical setting.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2008; 52: 1546-1553