- •The UK Lipoprotein Apheresis (LA) Registry was established in 2011.
- •Between 2011 and 2017 data was entered retrospectively and prospectively by seven LA centres in the UK for 151 patients.
- •The mean reduction in interval mean LDL-C from the pre-procedure baseline was 43.14% and 37.95% for Lp(a).
- •There was a 62.5% reduction in major adverse cardiovascular events (MACE) following introduction of LA.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Application of specific extracorporeal removal of low density lipoprotein in familial hypercholesterolaemia.Lancet. 1981; 2: 1005-1007
- LDL-Apheresis in homozygous LDL-receptor-defective familial hypercholesterolemia: the Munich experience.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2009; 10: 21-26
- Effects of intensive lipid lowering by low-density lipoprotein apheresis on regression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: Japan Low-density Lipoprotein Apheresis Coronary Atherosclerosis Prospective Study (L-CAPS).Atherosclerosis. 1999; 144 (409–17)
- Long-term efficacy of low-density lipoprotein apheresis on coronary heart disease in familial hypercholesterolemia.Am. J. Cardiol. 1998; 82: 1489-1495
- Lipoprotein apheresis for Lp(a)-hyperlipoproteinemia with progressive cardiovascular disease – additional particular aspects of the Pro(a)LiFe multicentre trial.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2015; 18: 35-40
- The German lipoprotein apheresis registry (GLAR) – almost 5 years on.Clin Res Cardiol Suppl. 2017; 12: 44-49
- Survival in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia is determined by the on-treatment level of serum cholesterol.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 1162-1168
- Idenitification and Management of Familial Hypercholesterolaemia.([Internet]) NICE, London2008 ([updated 2017 Nov]. (Clinical guideline [CG71]). Available from)
- Recommendations for the use of LDL apheresis.Atherosclerosis. 2008; 198: 247-255
- ESC/EAS guidelines for the management of dyslipidaemias the task force for the management of dyslipidaemias of the European society of cardiology (ESC) and European atherosclerosis society (EAS) developed with the special contribution of the European association for cardiovascular prevention and rehabilitation (EACPR).Atherosclerosis. 2016; 253: 281-344
- HEART UK statement on the management of homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia in the United Kingdom.(Atherosclerosis 2016)
- Efficacy criteria and cholesterol targets for LDL apheresis.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 208: 317-321
- Apheresis as a novel treatment for refractory angina with raised lipoprotein (a): a randomised controlled cross-over trial.Eur. J. Cardiol. 2017; 38: 1561-1569
- Risks of ischaemic heart-disease in familial hyperlipoproteinaemia states.Lancet. 1969; 2: 1380-1382
- Aortic stenosis in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia.Heart. 1996; 76: 84e85
- Integrating provision of specialist lipid services with cascade testing for familial hypercholesterolaemia.Curr. Opin. Lipidol. 2010; 21: 366-371
- A nation-wide survey of patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia phenotype undergoing LDL-apheresis in Turkey (A-HIT 1 registry).Atherosclerosis. 2018; 270: 42-48
- Management of familial hypercholesterolaemias in adult patients: recommendations from the national lipid association expert panel on familial hypercholesterolaemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2011; 5: S38-45
Forms of therapeutic hemopheresis. Summary report of the Working Party on Medical Treatment of the Federal Committee of Physicians and Health Insurance Companies on the Deliberations Pursuant to § 135 para 1 of the Code of Social Law 2009, vol vol. V ((SGB V)).
- Effects of lipoprotein apheresis on the lipoprotein (a) levels in the long run.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2015; 18: 226-232
- The Italian registry of therapeutic apheresis – 2015.Transfus. Apher. Sci. 2017; 56: 75-81
- Comparison of different LDL apheresis methods.Expert Rev. Cardiovasc. Ther. 2008; 6: 629-639
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia: long term clinical course and plasma exchange therapy for two individual patients and review of the literature.J. Clin. Apher. 2009; 24: 219-224
- Complications of the arteriovenous fistula: a systematic review.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2017; 28: 1839-1850
- FOURIER steering committee. Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.NEJM. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- ODYSSEY OUTCOMES committees and investigators. Patients with recent acute coronary syndrome and polyvascular disease derive large absolute benefit from alirocumab: ODYSSEY OUTCOMES trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019 Mar 12; (pii: S0735-1097(19)33921-X, [Epub ahead of print] PMID:30898609)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2019.03.013
- Long-term treatment with evolocumab added to conventional drug therapy, with or without apheresis, in patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: an interim subset analysis of the open-label TAUSSIG study.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2017; 5 (Epub 2017 Feb 16. PMID:28215937): 280-290https://doi.org/10.1016/S2213-8587(17)30044-X
- Target achievement and cardiovascular event rates with Lomitapide in homozygous Familial Hypercholesterolaemia.Orphanet J. Rare Dis. 2018; 13: 96
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490
- Cardiovascular disease risk associated with elevated lipoprotein (a) attenuates at low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels in a primary prevention setting.Eur. Heart J. 2018; (Doi: 10. 1093/eurheartj/ehy334) ([Epub ahead of print])
- Association of LPA variants with risk of coronary disease and the implications for lipoprotein (a)-lowering therapies: a Mendelian randomization analysis.JAMA Cardiol. 2018 Jun 20; ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1001/jamacardio.2018.1470
- Apheresis in homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia: the results of a follow-up of all Norwegian patients with homozygous familial hypercholesterolaemia.J Clin Lipidol. 2012; 6: 331-339