- •Ticagrelor is not superior to clopidogrel in the Chinese population.
- •Ticagrelor decreased the risk of short-term thrombotic events in Chinese patients.
- •Ticagrelor increased the risk of BARC type 2 bleeding compared to clopidogrel.
Background and aims
International guidelines recommend ticagrelor over clopidogrel as preferred antiplatelet agent in patients following coronary stenting. However, no large real-life evidence is available in East Asians in general, and Chinese in particular, with regard to associated clinical outcomes. The present study aimed to assess the early and delayed outcomes after ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in post stenting Chinese patients.
We conducted the pre-specified interim analysis of Comparison Of Efficacy and Safety Between TIcagrelor and Clopidogrel In Chinese (COSTIC), the ongoing prospective, observational, single-center trial. Primary outcomes include first occurrence of myocardial infarction, stroke, vascular death and Bleeding Academic Research Consortium (BARC) scale bleeding event. Propensity score matching (PSM) was carried out to adjust for differences in baseline characteristics between treatment arms.
In total, 4,465 patients were enrolled. After PSM, the patients prescribed with ticagrelor had a lower incidence of primary efficacy endpoint relative to those with clopidogrel (0.6% vs. 1.4%, HR = 0.44, 95%CI: 0.22–0.89, p = 0.019) at 1 month, but similar at 7 days, 6 months and 12 months. Further analysis indicated that the difference only exists in the subgroup of acute myocardial infarction (AMI) patients. With regard to safety, ticagrelor consistently increased the risk of BARC type 2 bleeding compared to clopidogrel at 1 month, 6 months and 12 months.
These preliminary data indicate that ticagrelor is superior to clopidogrel with regard to major vascular thrombotic outcomes at 1 month, especially in the AMI population, but both groups are similar at 7 days, 6 months and 12 months. Ticagrelor consistently caused significantly more BARC type 2 bleeding.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- ESC Guidelines for the management of acute myocardial infarction in patients presenting with ST-segment elevation.Eur. Heart J. 2012; 33: 2569-2619
- The pathogenesis of coronary artery disease and the acute coronary syndromes (1).N. Engl. J. Med. 1992; 326: 242-250
- P2Y(12) inhibitors: differences in properties and mechanisms of action and potential consequences for clinical use.Eur. Heart J. 2009; 30: 1964-1977
- Ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2009; 361: 1045-1057
- Pharmacodynamics, pharmacokinetics, and safety of the oral reversible P2Y12 antagonist AZD6140 with aspirin in patients with atherosclerosis: a double-blind comparison to clopidogrel with aspirin.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 1038-1047
- Comparison of short-term clinical outcomes between ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with acute myocardial infarction undergoing successful revascularization; from Korea Acute Myocardial Infarction Registry-National Institute of Health.Int. J. Cardiol. 2016; 215: 193-200
- Ticagrelor vs. Clopidogrel in Japanese, Korean and Taiwanese patients with acute coronary syndrome- randomized, double-blind, phase III PHILO study.Circ. J. 2015; 79 (PMID:26376600): 2452-2460
- Gene variants in responsiveness to clopidogrel have no impact on clinical outcomes in Chinese patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention - a multicenter study.Int. J. Cardiol. 2017; 240: 360-366
- World heart federation expert consensus statement on antiplatelet therapy in east asian patients with ACS or undergoing PCI.Glob Heart. 2014; 9: 457-467
- Economic evaluation of clopidogrel versus ticagrelor, in patients with acute coronary syndrome, from the perspective of the Mexican public Health care system.Value Health. 2014; 17: A115
- [Long-term cost-effectiveness of ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in acute coronary syndrome in Spain].Farm. Hosp. 2014; 38: 266-275
- Economic analysis of ticagrelor therapy from a U.S. perspective: results from the PLATO study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 65: 465-476
- ACCF/AHA guideline for the management of ST-elevation myocardial infarction: executive summary: a report of the American college of cardiology foundation/American heart association task force on Practice guidelines.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 61: 485-510
- AHA/ACC guideline for the management of patients with non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndromes: a report of the American college of cardiology/American heart association task force on Practice guidelines.J Am Coll Cardiol 2014. 2014; 64: e139-e228
- Third universal definition of myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2020-2035
- Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2736-2747
- Expert consensus document: world Heart Federation expert consensus statement on antiplatelet therapy in East Asian patients with ACS or undergoing PCI.Nat. Rev. Cardiol. 2014; 11: 597-606
- Safety, tolerability, and initial efficacy of AZD6140, the first reversible oral adenosine diphosphate receptor antagonist, compared with clopidogrel, in patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome: primary results of the DISPERSE-2 trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2007; 50: 1844-1851
- Ticagrelor vs prasugrel one-month maintenance therapy: impact on platelet reactivity and bleeding events.Thromb. Haemost. 2014; 112: 551-557
- Randomized double-blind assessment of the ONSET and OFFSET of the antiplatelet effects of ticagrelor versus clopidogrel in patients with stable coronary artery disease: the ONSET/OFFSET study.Circulation. 2009; 120: 2577-2585
- Comparison of pharmacodynamics between low dose ticagrelor and clopidogrel after loading and maintenance doses in healthy Korean subjects.Platelets. 2015; 26: 563-569
- Impact of long-term ticagrelor monotherapy following 1-month dual antiplatelet therapy in patients who underwent complex percutaneous coronary intervention: insights from the Global Leaders trial.Eur. Heart J. 2019; 40: 2595-2604
- Reasons for discontinuation of recommended therapies according to the patients after acute coronary syndromes.Eur. J. Intern. Med. 2015; 26: 56-62
- Cessation of dual antiplatelet treatment and cardiac events after percutaneous coronary intervention (PARIS): 2 year results from a prospective observational study.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1714-1722
Published online: September 21, 2019
Accepted: September 20, 2019
Received in revised form: September 16, 2019
Received: May 3, 2019
© 2019 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.