- •T2DM patients with increased VAT volume are at risk for premature atherosclerosis.
- •VAT volume is positively associated with arterial inflammation in early T2DM.
- •Premature atherosclerosis was imaged with FDG and quantified as meanTBR.
- •The association of VAT with meanTBR was independent of VAT dysfunction biomarkers.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Impact of overweight on the risk of developing common chronic diseases during a 10-year period.Arch. Intern. Med. 2001; 161 (Jul 9): 1581-1586
- Inflammation and activated innate immunity in the pathogenesis of type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2004; 27 (Mar): 813-823
- Central obesity and multivariable cardiovascular risk as assessed by the Framingham prediction scores.Am. J. Cardiol. 2009; 103 (May 15): 1403-1407
- Abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue compartments: association with metabolic risk factors in the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2007; 116 (Jul 3): 39-48
- Adipokines: molecular links between obesity and atheroslcerosis.Am. J. Physiol. Heart Circ. Physiol. 2005; 288 (May): 2031
- Serum total adiponectin in nonalcoholic fatty liver disease: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Metabolism. 2011; 60 (Mar): 313-326
- Association between volume and glucose metabolism of abdominal adipose tissue in healthy population.Obes. Res. Clin. Pract. 2017; (Jan 7)
- Impact of abdominal visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue on cardiometabolic risk factors: the Jackson heart study.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2010; 95 (Dec): 5419-5426
- Current perspectives on cardiovascular outcome trials in diabetes.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2016; 15 (Oct 1): 139
- Visceral adipose tissue, adiponectin levels and insulin resistance are related to atherosclerosis as assessed by whole-body magnetic resonance angiography in an elderly population.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 205 (Jul): 163-167
- Measurement of visceral fat: should we include retroperitoneal fat?.PLoS One. 2014; 9 (Nov 17)e112355
- Vascular inflammation evaluated by [18F]-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography is associated with the metabolic syndrome.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2007; 49 (Apr 10): 1533-1539
- Carotid FDG uptake improves prediction of future cardiovascular events in asymptomatic individuals.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2015; 8 (Aug): 949-956
- Arterial stiffness is positively associated with 18F-fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography-assessed subclinical vascular inflammation in people with early type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2016; 39 (Aug): 1440-1447
- Effect of linagliptin on pulse wave velocity in early type 2 diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, controlled 26-week trial (RELEASE).Diabetes Obes. Metab. 2017; (Feb 28)
- Homeostasis model assessment: insulin resistance and beta-cell function from fasting plasma glucose and insulin concentrations in man.Diabetologia. 1985; 28 (Jul): 412
- FDG PET/CT: EANM procedure guidelines for tumour imaging: version 2.0.Eur. J. Nucl. Med. Mol. Imaging. 2015; 42 (Feb): 328-354
- Performance evaluation of a semi-automated method for [(18)F]FDG uptake in abdominal visceral adipose tissue.Mol. Imaging Biol. 2018; (May 22)
- Computed tomography scans in the evaluation of fatty liver disease in a population based study: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Acad. Radiol. 2012; 19 (Jul): 811-818
- Implications of pericardial, visceral and subcutaneous adipose tissue on vascular inflammation measured using 18FDG- PET/CT.PLoS One. 2015; 10 (Aug 13)e0135294
- Relationship between measures of adiposity, arterial inflammation, and subsequent cardiovascular events.Circ Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2016; 9 (Apr)e004043
- Sex difference in cardiometabolic risk profile and adiponectin expression in subjects with visceral fat obesity.Transl. Res. 2010; 155 (Feb): 71-77
- The ratio between visceral and subcutaneous abdominal fat assessed by computed tomography is an independent predictor of mortality and cardiac events.Rev. Esp. Cardiol. 2016; (Oct 17)
- Body fat distribution, incident cardiovascular disease, cancer, and all-cause mortality.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62 (Sep 3): 921-925
- Visceral adipose tissue is a better predictor of subclinical carotid atherosclerosis compared with waist circumference.Ultrasound Med. Biol. 2014; 40 (Jun): 1083-1088
- Individual contributions of visceral fat and total body fat to subclinical atherosclerosis: the NEO study.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 241 (Aug): 547-554
- Association of fat density with subclinical atherosclerosis.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2014; 3 (Aug 28)https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.114.000788
- High-resolution imaging of human atherosclerotic carotid plaques with micro 18F-FDG PET scanning exploring plaque vulnerability.J. Nucl. Cardiol. 2011; 18 (Dec): 1066-1075
- Cellular mechanisms driving sex differences in adipose tissue biology and body shape in humans and mouse models.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2017; 1043: 29-51
- Mechanisms linking obesity with cardiovascular disease.Nature. 2006; 444 (Dec 14): 875-880
- Leptin therapy alters appetite and neural responses to food stimuli in brain areas of leptin-sensitive subjects without altering brain structure.J. Clin. Endocrinol. Metab. 2014; 99 (Dec): 2529
- Leptin signaling in adipose tissue: role in lipid accumulation and weight gain.Circ. Res. 2012; 111 (Aug 17): 599-603
- Simvastatin attenuates plaque inflammation: evaluation by fluorodeoxyglucose positron emission tomography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2006; 48 (Nov 7): 1825-1831