- •We evaluated 66,363 individuals from the Coronary Artery Calcium (CAC) Consortium.
- •CAC = 0 participants had stable low 12-year rates of cardiovascular death.
- •Cancer was the predominant cause of the infrequent deaths in the CAC = 0 group.
- •CAC 1–10 was associated with higher risk of cardiovascular death at ages <40.
- •CAC>10 was associated with higher risk of cardiovascular and all-cause death.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Negative risk markers for cardiovascular events in the elderly.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019; 74: 1-11
- Coronary artery calcium scores of zero and establishing the concept of negative risk factors.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019; 74: 12-14
- Absence of coronary artery calcification and all-cause mortality.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2009; 2: 692-700
- Absence of coronary artery calcium identifies asymptomatic diabetic individuals at low near-term but not long-term risk of mortality: a 15-year follow-up study of 9715 patients.Circ. Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2016; 9: e003528
- Diagnostic and prognostic value of absence of coronary artery calcification.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2009; 2: 675-688
- Dyslipidemia, coronary artery calcium, and incident atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease: implications for statin therapy from the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Circulation. 2014; 129: 77-86
- Impact of coronary artery calcium on coronary heart disease events in individuals at the extremes of traditional risk factor burden: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 2232-2241
- Implications of coronary artery calcium testing among statin candidates according to American College of Cardiology/American heart association Cholesterol management guidelines.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 66: 1657-1668
- Cardiovascular events with absent or minimal coronary calcification: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Am. Heart J. 2009; 158: 554-561
- The 10-year prognostic value of zero and minimal CAC.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2017; 10: 957-958
- Baseline subclinical atherosclerosis burden and distribution are associated with frequency and mode of future coronary revascularization: multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2014; 7: 476-486
- Coronary artery calcium and incident cerebrovascular events in an asymptomatic cohort. the MESA study.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2014; 7: 1108-1115
- Role of coronary artery calcium score of zero and other negative risk markers for cardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Circulation. 2016; 133: 849-858
- 2019 ACC/AHA guideline on the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2019 Mar 17; (CIR0000000000000678) ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000678
- The association of coronary artery calcium with noncardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.JACC Cardiovasc. Imaging. 2016; 9: 568-576
- Rationale and design of the coronary artery calcium consortium: a multicenter cohort study.J. Cardiovasc. Comput. Tomogr. 2017; 11: 54-61
- Sex differences in calcified plaque and long-term cardiovascular mortality: observations from the CAC Consortium.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 3727-3735
- Race/ethnicity and the prognostic implications of coronary artery calcium for all-cause and cardiovascular disease mortality: the coronary artery calcium consortium.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2018; 7: e010471
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1990; 15: 827-832
- A proportional hazards model for the subdistribution of a competing risk.J. Am. Stat. Assoc. Jun., 1999; 94: 496-509
- Stata Statistical Software: Release 15.StataCorp LLC, College Station, TX2017
- Message for 2018 Cholesterol management guidelines update: time to accept the power of zero.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018; 72: 3243-3245
- Clinical indications for coronary artery calcium scoring in asymptomatic patients: expert consensus statement from the Society of Cardiovascular Computed Tomography.J. Cardiovasc. Comput. Tomogr. 2017; 11: 157-168
- 2018 AHA/ACC/AACVPR/AAPA/ABC/ACPM/ADA/AGS/APhA/ASPC/NLA/PCNA guideline on the management of blood Cholesterol: a report of the American College of Cardiology/American heart association task force on clinical practice guidelines.Circulation. 2019; 139: e1082-e1143
- How low-risk is a coronary calcium score of zero? The importance of conditional probability.Circulation. 2008; 117: 1627-1629
- Heinz nixdorf recall study investigators. Value of progression of coronary artery calcification for risk prediction of coronary and cardiovascular events: result of the HNR study (Heinz Nixdorf recall).Circulation. 2018; 137: 665-679
- A zero coronary artery calcium score: priceless.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2010; 55: 1118-1120
- Distribution of coronary artery calcium by race, gender, and age: results from the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Circulation. 2006; 113: 30-37
- Dagenais G Modifiable risk factors, cardiovascular disease, and mortality in 155,722 individuals from 21 high-income, middle-income, and low-income countries (PURE): a prospective cohort study.Lancet. 2019; (pii: S0140-6736(19)32008-2. (Epub ahead of print))https://doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(19)32008-2