- •This current review covers studies that have identified long non-coding RNAs in aortic aneurysm development and progression.
- •We separately discuss transcripts and mechanisms of importance to thoracic as well as abdominal aortic aneurysms.
- •Functional data on lncRNAs being identified are highlighted.
- •Some have been studied in human as well as experimental models of the disease pathology.
1. Aortic aneurysm disease
- Czerny M.
- Schmidli J.
- Adler S.
- et al.
- Erbel R.
- Aboyans V.
- Boileau C.
- et al.
|TAA||HIF1A-AS1||↑||Casp3/8, BRG1, BCL-2||Promotes VSMC apoptosis and inhibits proliferation||[|
|LincRNA-p21||↑||p53, p300, hnRNP-K, TGFβ pathway||Promotes VSMC apoptosis and inhibits proliferation||[|
|MALAT1||↑||HDAC9, BRG1||Mediates cellular phenotypes; promotes EC proliferation||[|
|HOTAIR||↓||Collagen types I/III||Knockdown of HOTAIR promotes VSMC apoptosis and inhibits proliferation; mediates ECM remodeling||[|
|MIAT||↑||BCL-2, BCL-xl, miR-145, miR-150-5p||Promotes VSMC proliferation and inhibits apoptosis promotes EC proliferation||[|
|AK056155||↑||–||Involved in Loeys-Dietz syndrome||[|
|AAA||H19||↑||miR-675, HIF1α, miR-148b, let-7a, MCP-1, Sp1,||Generates miRNA; promotes VSMC proliferation; induces VSMC apoptosis; promotes vascular inflammation||[|
|PVT1||↑||MMP-2/9,||Overexpression of PVT1 promotes apoptosis and phenotype switching||[|
|GAS5||↓||TGFβ/SMAD3 signaling; miR-223;||VSMC differentiation; knockdown of GAS5 inhibits endothelial progenitor cells proliferation and promotes senescence||[|
|SENCR||↑||FIL1, CKAP4||Mediates cellular phenotypes, migration, EC adherens junctions||[|
|MYOSLID||–||MKL1/SRF, TGFβ-1/SMAD pathways||VSMC phenotypes; promotes VSMC differentiation and attenuates proliferation||[|
|SMILR||↑||HAS2||Knockdown of SMILR reduces VSMC proliferation||[|
|NEAT||↑||WDR5||VSMC phenotypes; promotes VSMC proliferation and migration||[|
- Erbel R.
- Aboyans V.
- Boileau C.
- et al.
2. Non-coding RNAs
3. Role of lncRNAs in thoracic aortic aneurysm (TAA)
4. Role of lncRNAs in abdominal aortic aneurysm (AAA)
4.8 Lnc-Ang 362
5. Summary and perspectives
Declaration of competing interest
- Non-coding RNA contribution to thoracic and abdominal aortic aneurysm disease development and progression.Front. Physiol. 2017; 8: 429
- Abdominal aortic aneurysms.Nat. Rev. Dis. Prim. 2018; 4: 34
- Current options and recommendations for the treatment of thoracic aortic pathologies involving the aortic arch: an expert consensus document of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic surgery (EACTS) and the European Society for Vascular Surgery (ESVS).Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2019; 55: 133-162
- ESC Guidelines on the diagnosis and treatment of aortic diseases: document covering acute and chronic aortic diseases of the thoracic and abdominal aorta of the adult. The Task Force for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Aortic Diseases of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC).Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35 (2014): 2873-2926
- Screening program of abdominal aortic aneurysm.Angiology. 2019; 70: 407-413
- Epidemiology and management of thoracic aortic dissections and thoracic aortic aneurysms in Ontario, Canada: a population-based study.J. Thorac. Cardiovasc. Surg. 2018; 155 (e2254): 2254-2264
- Familial thoracic aortic aneurysms and dissections--incidence, modes of inheritance, and phenotypic patterns.Ann. Thorac. Surg. 2006; 82: 1400-1405
- Editor's choice - European society for vascular surgery (ESVS) 2019 clinical practice guidelines on the management of abdominal aorto-iliac artery aneurysms.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2019; 57: 8-93
- The Society for Vascular Surgery practice guidelines on the care of patients with an abdominal aortic aneurysm.J. Vasc. Surg. 2018; 67 (e72): 2-77
- Meta-analysis of individual-patient data from EVAR-1, DREAM, OVER and ACE trials comparing outcomes of endovascular or open repair for abdominal aortic aneurysm over 5 years.Br. J. Surg. 2017; 104: 166-178
- Trends in patient safety of intact abdominal aortic aneurysm repair - German registry data on 36.594 procedures European journal of vascular and endovascular surgery.Off. J. Eur. Soc. Vasc. Surg. 2017; 53: 641-647
- Endovascular versus open repair of abdominal aortic aneurysm in 15-years' follow-up of the UK endovascular aneurysm repair trial 1 (EVAR trial 1): a randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 388: 2366-2374
- The long-term outcomes of open and endovascular repair for abdominal aortic aneurysm: a meta-analysis.Asian J. Surg. 2019; 42: 899-906
- Endovascular repair of aortic dissection in marfan syndrome: current status and future perspectives.Diseases. 2015; 3: 159-166
- Role of noncoding RNAs in the pathogenesis of abdominal aortic aneurysm.Circ. Res. 2019; 124: 619-630
- Prospective and therapeutic screening value of non-coding RNA as biomarkers in cardiovascular disease.Ann. Transl. Med. 2016; 4: 236
- MicroRNA therapeutics: towards a new era for the management of cancer and other diseases.Nat. Rev. Drug Discov. 2017; 16: 203-222
- Treatment of HCV infection by targeting microRNA.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 368: 1685-1694
- miR-24 limits aortic vascular inflammation and murine abdominal aneurysm development.Nat. Commun. 2014; 5: 5214
- Inhibition of microRNA-29b reduces murine abdominal aortic aneurysm development.J. Clin. Investig. 2012; 122: 497-506
- MicroRNA-21 blocks abdominal aortic aneurysm development and nicotine-augmented expansion.Sci. Transl. Med. 2012; 4: 122ra122
- Long noncoding RNAs: from clinical genetics to therapeutic targets?.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2016; 67: 1214-1226
- Non-coding RNAs: key regulators of smooth muscle cell fate in vascular disease.Cardiovasc. Res. 2018; 114: 611-621
- The Landscape of long noncoding RNA classification.Trends Genet. 2015; 31: 239-251
- History, Discovery, and classification of lncRNAs.Adv. Exp. Med. Biol. 2017; 1008: 1-46
- On the classification of long non-coding RNAs.RNA Biol. 2013; 10: 925-933
- Hereditary influence in thoracic aortic aneurysm and dissection.Circulation. 2016; 133: 2516-2528
- Notch, BMP and WNT/beta-catenin network is impaired in endothelial cells of the patients with thoracic aortic aneurysm.Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2018; 35: e6-e13
- Cell-specific functions of ADAM17 regulate the progression of thoracic aortic aneurysm.Circ. Res. 2018; 123: 372-388
- Thoracic aortic aneurysm development in patients with bicuspid aortic valve: what is the role of endothelial cells?.Front. Physiol. 2017; 8: 938
- Elevated serum level of lncRNA-HIF1A-AS1 as a novel diagnostic predictor for worse prognosis in colorectal carcinoma.Cancer Biomark. 2017; 20: 417-424
- Regulation of apoptosis by long non-coding RNA HIF1A-AS1 in VSMCs: implications for TAA pathogenesis.Int. J. Clin. Exp. Pathol. 2014; 7: 7643-7652
- BRG1 expression is increased in thoracic aortic aneurysms and regulates proliferation and apoptosis of vascular smooth muscle cells through the long non-coding RNA HIF1A-AS1 in vitro.Eur. J. Cardiothorac. Surg. 2015; 47: 439-446
- LinRNA‐P21 is regulated by cyclic mechanical stretch and upregulated in aortic aneurysms.Can. J. Cardiol. 2017; 33: S208
- LincRNA-p21 regulates neointima formation, vascular smooth muscle cell proliferation, apoptosis, and atherosclerosis by enhancing p53 activity.Circulation. 2014; 130: 1452-1465
- A large intergenic noncoding RNA induced by p53 mediates global gene repression in the p53 response.Cell. 2010; 142: 409-419
- Upregulation of lincRNA-P21 in Thoracic Aortic Aneurysms Is Involved in the Regulation of Proliferation and Apoptosis of Vascular Smooth Muscle Cells by Activating TGF-Beta1 Signaling Pathway. vol.120. 2019: 4113-4120
- An HDAC9-MALAT1-BRG1 complex mediates smooth muscle dysfunction in thoracic aortic aneurysm.Nat. Commun. 2018; 9: 1009
- Long noncoding RNA MALAT1 regulates endothelial cell function and vessel growth.Circ. Res. 2014; 114: 1389-1397
- Long non-coding RNA-mRNA correlation analysis reveals the potential role of HOTAIR in pathogenesis of sporadic thoracic aortic aneurysm.Eur. J. Vasc. Endovasc. Surg. 2017; 54: 303-314
- lncRNA-MIAT regulates microvascular dysfunction by functioning as a competing endogenous RNA.Circ. Res. 2015; 116: 1143-1156
- Long noncoding RNA myocardial infarction associated transcript promotes the development of thoracic aortic by targeting microRNA-145 via the PI3K/Akt signaling pathway.J. Cell. Biochem. 2019; : 1-9
- Long noncoding RNA AK056155 involved in the development of Loeys-Dietz syndrome through AKT/PI3K signaling pathway.Int. J. Clin. Exp. Pathol. 2015; 8: 10768-10775
- Adaptive cellular immunity in aortic aneurysms: cause, consequence, or context?.J. Clin. Investig. 2004; 114: 168-171
- Micromanaging abdominal aortic aneurysms.Int. J. Mol. Sci. 2013; 14: 14374-14394
- Importance of endothelial NF-kappaB signalling in vascular remodelling and aortic aneurysm formation.Cardiovasc. Res. 2013; 97: 106-114
- Pathophysiology and epidemiology of abdominal aortic aneurysms.Nat. Rev. Cardiol. 2011; 8: 92-102
- Matrix metalloproteinases in vascular remodeling and atherogenesis: the good, the bad, and the ugly.Circ. Res. 2002; 90: 251-262
- H19 knockdown suppresses proliferation and induces apoptosis by regulating miR-148b/WNT/β-catenin in ox-LDL -stimulated vascular smooth muscle cells.J. Biomed. Sci. 2018; 25: 11
- Long noncoding RNA H19-derived miR-675 aggravates restenosis by targeting PTEN.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2018; 497: 1154-1161
- H19 induces abdominal aortic aneurysm development and progression.Circulation. 2018; 138: 1551-1568
- Long noncoding RNA H19 promotes vascular remodeling by sponging let-7a to upregulate the expression of cyclin D1.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. 2019; 508: 1038-1042
- LncRNA H19 promotes vascular inflammation and abdominal aortic aneurysm formation by functioning as a competing endogenous RNA.J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. 2019; 131: 66-81
- Long non-coding RNA H19 regulates endothelial cell aging via inhibition of STAT3 signalling.Cardiovasc. Res. 2018; 115: 230-242
- Knockdown of lncRNA PVT1 inhibits vascular smooth muscle cell apoptosis and extracellular matrix disruption in a murine abdominal aortic aneurysm model.Mol. Cells. 2019; 42: 218-227
- Long noncoding RNA-GAS5: a novel regulator of hypertension-induced vascular remodeling.Hypertension. 2016; 68: 736-748
- The long non-coding RNA GAS5 regulates transforming growth factor beta (TGF-beta)-induced smooth muscle cell differentiation via RNA Smad-binding elements.J. Biol. Chem. 2017; 292: 14270-14278
- lncRNA GAS5/miR-223/NAMPT axis modulates the cell proliferation and senescence of endothelial progenitor cells through PI3K/AKT signaling.J. Cell. Biochem. 2019 Sep; 120: 14518-14530
- Identification and initial functional characterization of a human vascular cell-enriched long noncoding RNA.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2014; 34: 1249-1259
- A role for the long noncoding RNA SENCR in commitment and function of endothelial cells.Mol. Ther. 2016; 24: 978-990
- SENCR stabilizes vascular endothelial cell adherens junctions through interaction with CKAP4.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2019; 116: 546-555
- MYOSLID is a novel serum response factor-dependent long noncoding RNA that amplifies the vascular smooth muscle differentiation program.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2016; 36: 2088-2099
- Smooth muscle enriched long noncoding RNA (SMILR) regulates cell proliferation.Circulation. 2016; 133: 2050-2065
- Long noncoding RNA NEAT1 (nuclear paraspeckle assembly transcript 1) is critical for phenotypic switching of vascular smooth muscle cells.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2018; 115: E8660-e8667
- Novel long noncoding RNAs are regulated by angiotensin II in vascular smooth muscle cells.Circ. Res. 2013; 113: 266-278
User LicenseCreative Commons Attribution – NonCommercial – NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND 4.0) |
For non-commercial purposes:
- Read, print & download
- Redistribute or republish the final article
- Text & data mine
- Translate the article (private use only, not for distribution)
- Reuse portions or extracts from the article in other works
- Sell or re-use for commercial purposes
- Distribute translations or adaptations of the article
Elsevier's open access license policy