- •This study evaluated HDL-C and cardiovascular (CV) risk in acute coronary syndrome.
- •Lower HDL-C is associated with higher incidence of CV events.
- •Predictive ability is independent of intensive or conventional lipid-lowering therapy.
- •These trends remained after adjustment for baseline values and lipid profiles.
- •Lower BMI, diabetes mellitus, and higher hs-CRP at baseline independently predicted CV events.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Randomized trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: the Scandinavian Simvastatin Survival Study (4S).Lancet. 1994; 344: 1383-1389
- Efficacy and safety of cholesterol-lowering treatment: prospective meta-analysis of data from 90,056 participants in 14 randomized trials of statins.Lancet. 2005; 366: 1267-1278
- Ezetimibe added to statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 2387-2397
- Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol as an independent risk factor in cardiovascular disease: assessing the data from Framingham to the Veterans Affairs High-Density Lipoprotein Intervention Trial.Am. J. Cardiol. 2000; 86: 19L-22L
- HDL cholesterol, very low levels of LDL cholesterol, and cardiovascular events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 1301-1310
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol as a predictor of clinical outcomes in patients achieving low-density lipoprotein cholesterol targets with statins after percutaneous coronary intervention.Heart. 2011; 97: 1943-1950
- Low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol is not a risk factor for recurrent vascular events in patients with vascular disease on intensive lipid-lowering medication.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62: 1834-1841
- HDL cholesterol and residual risk of first cardiovascular events after treatment with potent statin therapy: an analysis from the JUPITER trial.Lancet. 2010; 376: 333-339
- High-density lipoprotein, but not low-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels influence short-term prognosis after acute coronary syndrome: results from the MIRACL trial.Eur. Heart J. 2005; 26: 890-896
- The impact of high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels on long-term outcomes after non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction.Am. Heart J. 2012; 163: 705-713
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels and cardiovascular outcomes in Japanese patients after percutaneous coronary intervention: a report from the CREDO-Kyoto registry cohort-2.Atherosclerosis. 2015; 242: 632-638
- High-density lipoprotein cholesterol, coronary artery disease, and cardiovascular mortality.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3563-3571
- Low-density lipoprotein cholesterol targeting with pitavastatin + ezetimibe for patients with acute coronary syndrome and dyslipidaemia: the HIJ-PROPER study, a prospective, open-label, randomized trial.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 2264-2276
- Baseline serum sitosterol level as predictor of adverse clinical events in acute coronary syndrome patients with dyslipidaemia: a sub-analysis of HIJ-PROPER.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 274: 139-145
- Myocardial injury: the acute phase response and lipoprotein metabolism.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1993; 22: 933-940
- Lipid levels after acute coronary syndromes.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2008; 51: 1440-1445
- HDL remodeling during the acute phase response.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2009; 29: 261-267
- Diabetes and mortality following acute coronary syndromes.J. Am. Med. Assoc. 2007; 298: 765-775
- Effect of body mass index on clinical events after acute coronary syndromes.Am. J. Cardiol. 2017; 120: 1453-1459
- Predictive value of baseline high-sensitivity C-reactive protein level and renal function for patients with acute coronary syndrome undergoing aggressive lipid-lowering therapy: a subanalysis of HIJ-PROPER.Am. J. Cardiol. 2018; 122: 1817-1823
- Prognostic utility of apoB/AI, total cholesterol/HDL, non-HDL cholesterol, or hs-CRP as predictors of clinical risk in patients receiving statin therapy after acute coronary syndromes: results from PROVE IT-TIMI 22, Arterioscler.Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2009; 29: 424-430
- HDL cholesterol efflux capacity and incident cardiovascular events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 371: 2383-2393
- Patavastatin and HHDL: effects on plasma levels and function(s).Atherosclerosis Suppl. 2017; 27: e1-e9
- Increasing high-density lipoprotein cholesterol levels for cardiovascular benefit: the end of a dream?.Eur. J. Prev. Cardiol. 2019; 26: 531-532
- Effect of serial infusions of CER-001, a pre-β high-density lipoprotein mimetic, on coronary atherosclerosis in patients following acute coronary syndromes in the CER-001 Atherosclerosis Regression Acute Coronary Syndrome Trial: a randomized clinical trial, JAMA.Cardiol. 2018; 3: 815-822
- Effects of the high-density lipoprotein mimetic agent CER-001 on coronary atherosclerosis in patients with acute coronary syndromes: a randomized trial.Eur. Heart J. 2014; 35: 3277-3286
- Effects of extended-release niacin with laropiprant in high-risk patients.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 371: 203-212
- Effects of torcetrapib in patients at high risk for coronary events.N. Engl. J. Med. 2007; 357: 2109-2122
- Effects of dalcetrapib in patients with a recent acute coronary syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 367: 2089-2099
- Evacetrapib and cardiovascular outcomes in high-risk vascular disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 376: 1933-1942