- •We examined valve calcium progression with stroke risk in a multiethnic cohort.
- •Progression of mitral annular calcium was associated with higher stroke risk.
- •This was independent of cardiovascular risk factors and coronary artery calcium.
- •However, progression of aortic valve calcium was not associated with stroke risk.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American heart association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Stroke epidemiology: advancing our understanding of disease mechanism and therapy.Neurotherapeutics. 2011; 8: 319-329
- Ten-year association of coronary artery calcium with atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease (ASCVD) events: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 2401-2408
- Thoracic aortic calcification and coronary heart disease events: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA).Atherosclerosis. 2011; 215: 196-202
- Thoracic aortic calcification is associated with incident stroke in the general population in addition to established risk factors.Eur. Heart J. Cardiovasc. Imag. 2015; 16: 684-690
- Mitral annular calcification predicts cardiovascular morbidity and mortality: the Framingham Heart Study.Circulation. 2003; 107: 1492-1496
- Aortic valve calcium independently predicts coronary and cardiovascular events in a primary prevention population.JACC Cardiovasc. Imag. 2012; 5: 619-625
- Mitral annular calcification progression and the risk of atrial fibrillation: results from MESA.Eur. Heart J. Cardiovasc. Imag. 2018; 19: 279-284
- Thoracic aortic calcium, cardiovascular disease events, and all-cause mortality in asymptomatic individuals with zero coronary calcium: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Atherosclerosis. 2017; 257: 1-8
- Multisite extracoronary calcification indicates increased risk of coronary heart disease and all-cause mortality: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.J. Cardiovasc. Comput. Tomogr. 2015; 9: 406-414
- Thoracic extra-coronary calcification for the prediction of stroke: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2017; 267: 61-67
- Mitral annular calcification, aortic valve sclerosis, and incident stroke in adults free of clinical cardiovascular disease: the Strong Heart Study.Stroke. 2005; 36: 2533-2537
- Mitral annular calcification and the risk of stroke in an elderly cohort.N. Engl. J. Med. 1992; 327: 374-379
- Coronary artery calcification: pathophysiology, epidemiology, imaging methods, and clinical implications.Circulation. 1996; 94: 1175-1192
- Multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis: objectives and design.Am. J. Epidemiol. 2002; 156: 871-881
- Estimating GFR using the CKD Epidemiology Collaboration (CKD-EPI) creatinine equation: more accurate GFR estimates, lower CKD prevalence estimates, and better risk predictions.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2010; 55: 622-627
- Calcified coronary artery plaque measurement with cardiac CT in population-based studies: standardized protocol of multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis (MESA) and coronary artery risk development in young adults (CARDIA) study.Radiology. 2005; 234: 35-43
- The novel inflammatory marker GlycA and the prevalence and progression of valvular and thoracic aortic calcification: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 282: 91-99
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1990; 15: 827-832
- Effect of scanner type on the reproducibility of extracoronary measures of calcification: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Acad. Radiol. 2007; 14: 1043-1049
- Reproducibility of CT measurements of aortic valve calcification, mitral annulus calcification, and aortic wall calcification in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Acad. Radiol. 2006; 13: 166-172
- Adjudication of transient ischemic attack and stroke in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Neuroepidemiology. 2018; 50: 23-28
- Coronary calcium as a predictor of coronary events in four racial or ethnic groups.N. Engl. J. Med. 2008; 358: 1336-1345
- Pericardial fat volume and incident atrial fibrillation in the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis and Jackson heart study.Obesity. 2017; 25: 1115-1121
- Relationships of mitral annular calcification to cardiovascular risk factors: the Multi-Ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Atherosclerosis. 2010; 213: 558-562