- •Aortic valve calcification (AVC) is predictive of mortality after adjustment for cardiovascular risk, aortic stenosis (AS), and coronary artery calcification (CAC), in patients with history of smoking.
- •AVC is also predictive of nonfatal myocardial infarction and nonfatal cerebrovascular accident in this population.
- •There is prognostic value in reporting AVC from low dose lung cancer screening computed tomography.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Calcific aortic stenosis.Nat. Rev. Dis. Prim. 2016; 2: 16006
- American Heart Association Statistics C and Stroke Statistics S. Executive summary: heart disease and stroke statistics--2013 update: a report from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2013; 127: 143-152
- Association of aortic-valve sclerosis with cardiovascular mortality and morbidity in the elderly.N. Engl. J. Med. 1999; 341: 142-147
- Lipid lowering on progression of mild to moderate aortic stenosis: meta-analysis of the randomized placebo-controlled clinical trials on 2344 patients.Can. J. Cardiol. 2011; 27: 800-808
- Vascular calcifications as a marker of increased cardiovascular risk: a meta-analysis.Vasc. Health Risk Manag. 2009; 5: 185-197
- The complex nature of discordant severe calcified aortic valve disease grading: new insights from combined Doppler echocardiographic and computed tomographic study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2013; 62: 2329-2338
- Impact of aortic valve calcification, as measured by MDCT, on survival in patients with aortic stenosis: results of an international registry study.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2014; 64: 1202-1213
- Aortic valve calcium independently predicts coronary and cardiovascular events in a primary prevention population.JACC Cardiovasc. Imag. 2012; 5: 619-625
- Relation of aortic valve calcium detected by cardiac computed tomography to all-cause mortality.Am. J. Cardiol. 2010; 106: 1787-1791
- Incidence and progression of aortic valve calcium in the Multi-ethnic Study of Atherosclerosis (MESA).Am. J. Cardiol. 2010; 105: 701-708
- Screening for lung cancer: U.S. Preventive Services Task Force recommendation statement.Ann. Intern. Med. 2014; 160: 330-338
- Quantification of coronary artery calcium using ultrafast computed tomography.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 1990; 15: 827-832
- Usefulness of aortic valve calcium scores by electron beam computed tomography as a marker for aortic stenosis.Am. J. Cardiol. 2003; 92: 349-353
- White HD and executive group on behalf of the joint European society of cardiology/American College of cardiology/American heart association/world heart federation Task Force for the universal definition of myocardial I. Fourth universal definition of myocardial infarction (2018).J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018; 72: 2231-2264
- Impact of slice thickness on the predictive value of lung cancer screening computed tomography in the evaluation of coronary artery calcification.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2019; 8e010110