- •Advanced age enhances the bleeding risk associated with dual antiplatelet therapy.
- •The optimal duration of dual antiplatelet therapy in elderly patients with acute coronary syndromes (ACS) is debated.
- •The REDUCE trial compared 3 vs 12 months DAPT in ACS patients treated with the COMBO Dual Stent Therapy.
- •We provide a sub-analysis of the REDUCE trial according to age.
- •No age-related difference was observed in the primary composite or individual thrombotic and bleeding endpoints at 12 months.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Resolute zotarolimus-eluting stent in ST-elevation myocardial infarction (resolute-STEMI): a prespecified prospective register from the DAPT-STEMI trial.Cathet. Cardiovasc. Interv. 2020; 95 ([Epub ahead of print]): 706-710
- Percutaneous versus surgical revascularization for left main or multivessel coronary artery disease: results from a large-scale meta-analysis in the era of drug-eluting stents.Angiology. 2018 Oct; 69: 812-824
- Bivalirudin versus unfractionated heparin in acute coronary syndromes: an updated meta-analysis of randomized trials.Rev. Esp. Cardiol. 2016; 69: 732-745
- Recent advances in optimal adjunctive antithrombotic therapy in STEMI patients undergoing primary angioplasty: an overview.Curr. Vasc. Pharmacol. 2015; 13: 594-615
- Impact of pre-procedural dual antiplatelet therapy on periprocedural myocardial infarction in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary interventions with adjunctive tirofiban.Thromb. Res. 2018; 164: 17-23
- Benefits from new ADP antagonists as compared with clopidogrel in patients with stable angina or acute coronary syndrome undergoing invasive management: a meta-analysis of randomized trials.J. Cardiovasc. Pharmacol. 2014; 63: 339-350
- Stent thrombosis with drug-eluting and bare-metal stents: evidence from a comprehensive network meta-analysis.Lancet. 2012; 379: 1393-1402
- Six versus Twelve Months Dual Antiplatelet Therapy after Drug-Eluting Stent Implantation in ST-Elevation Myocardial Infarction Primary Results from the DAPT-STEMI Trial.TCT, 2017
- Optimal duration of dual antiplatelet therapy after DES implantation: a meta-analysis of 11 randomized trials.Angiology. 2016; 67: 224-238
- ACC/AHA versus ESC guidelines on dual antiplatelet therapy: JACC guideline comparison.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2018 Dec 11; 72: 2915-2931
- PRECISE-DAPT study investigators. Dual antiplatelet Therapy Duration based on ischemic and bleeding risks after coronary stenting.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2019; 73: 741-754
- Updated Expert Consensus statement on platelet function and genetic testing for guiding P2Y(12) receptor inhibitor treatment in percutaneous coronary intervention.JACC Cardiovasc. Interv. 2019; 12: 1521-1537
- Antithrombotic therapy in the elderly: expert position paper of the European society of cardiology working group on thrombosis.Eur. Heart J. 2015; 36: 3238-3249
De Luca L, Leonardi S, Smecca IM, et al.; EYESHOT Investigators. Contemporary antithrombotic strategies in patients with acute coronary syndromes managed without revascularization: insights from the EYESHOT study. Eur Heart J CardiovascPharmacother2015;1:168-178.
- Dual antiplatelet therapy in elderly patients with acute coronary syndrome: does age make the difference?.Giorn. Ital. Cardiol. 2006; 19: 420-428
- Final results of the Randomised Evaluation of short-term DUal antiplatelet therapy in patients with acute Coronary syndromE treated with a new generation stent (REDUCE) trial.EuroIntervention. 2019 Aug 20; (pii: EIJ-D-19-00539) ([Epub ahead of print])https://doi.org/10.4244/EIJ-D-19-00539
- Randomized evaluation of short-term dual antiplatelet therapy in patients with acute coronary syndrome treated with the COMBO dual therapy stent: rationale and design of the REDUCE trial.Am. Heart J. 2016; 178: 37-44
Braunwald E, Antman EM, Beasley JW, et al. ACC/AHA guidelines for the management of patients with unstable angina and non-ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction. A report of the American college of cardiology/American heart association task force on practice guidelines (committee on the management of patients with unstable Angina). J AmCollCardiol2000;36:970-1062.
- Joint ESC/ACCF/AHA/WHF task force for the universal definition of myocardial infarction. Third universal definition of myocardial infarction.Circulation. 2012; 126: 2020-2035
- Academic Research Consortium. Clinical end points in coronary stent trials: a case for standardized definitions.Circulation. 2007; 115: 2344-2351
- Standardized bleeding definitions for cardiovascular clinical trials: a consensus report from the Bleeding Academic Research Consortium.Circulation. 2011; 123: 2736-2747
- BLITZ-2 Investigators. Epidemiology of non-ST elevation acute coronary syndromes in the Italian cardiology network: the BLITZ-2 study.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 393-405
- Five-year follow-up of patients treated for coronary artery disease in the face of an increasing burden of co-morbidity and disease complexity.Am. J. Cardiol. 2014; 113: 573-579
- DESERT cooperation. Impact of age on long-term outcome after primary angioplasty with bare-metal or drug-eluting stent.Am. J. Cardiol. 2013; 112: 181-186
- Impact of advanced age on myocardial perfusion, distal embolization, and mortality patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction treated by primary angioplasty and glycoprotein IIb-IIIa inhibitors.Heart Ves. 2014; 29: 15-20
- Impact of age on management and outcome of acute coronary syndrome: observations from the Global Registry of Acute Coronary Events (GRACE).Am. Heart J. 2005; : 67-73
- Ageing, impaired myocardial perfusion, and mortality in patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction treated by primary angioplasty.Eur. Heart J. 2005 Apr; 26: 662-666
- Advanced age and high-residual platelet reactivity in patients receiving dual antiplatelet therapy with clopidogrel or ticagrelor.J. Thromb. Haemostasis. 2016 Jan; 14: 57-64
- Contemporary trends and age-specific sex differences in management and outcome for patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction.J Am Heart Assoc. 2016; (epub Nov 23)https://doi.org/10.1161/JAHA.116.004202.3
Savonitto S, Cavallini C, Petronio AS, et al, For the Italian Elderly ACS Trial Investigators. Early aggressive versus initially conservative treatment in elderly patients with non-ST-segment elevation acute coronary syndrome: a randomized controlled trial. JACC CardiovascInterv2012;5:906-916.
- After Eighty study investigators. Invasive versus conservative strategy in patients aged 80 years or older with non-ST-elevation myocardial infarction or unstable angina pectoris (After Eighty study): an open-label randomized controlled trial.Lancet. 2016; 387: 1057-1065
- Incidence, predictors, and outcomes of DAPT disruption due to non-compliance vs. bleeding after PCI: insights from the PARIS Registry.Clin. Res. Cardiol. 2019 Jun; 108: 643-650ù
- ESC Scientific Document Group; ESC Committee for Practice Guidelines (CPG); ESC National Cardiac Societies. 2017 ESC focused update on dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease developed in collaboration with EACTS: the Task Force for dual antiplatelet therapy in coronary artery disease of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and of the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS).Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 213-260
- Defining high bleeding risk in patients undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention circulation.. 2019 Jul 16; 140: 240-261
- WOEST study investigators. Use of clopidogrel with or without aspirin in patients taking oral anticoagulant therapy and undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention: an open-label, randomised, controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 381: 1107-1115
- Drug-coated versus bare-metal stents for elderly patients: a predefined sub-study of the LEADERS FREE trial.Int. J. Cardiol. 2017; 243: 110-115
- Short-term versus long-term dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-eluting stent implantation in elderly patients: a meta-analysis of individual participant data from 6 randomized trials.JACC Cardiovasc. Interv. 2018; 11: 435-443
- Sex differences in short-term and long-term all-cause mortality among patients with ST-segment elevation myocardial infarction treated by primary percutaneous intervention: a meta-analysis.JAMA Intern Med. 2014; 174: 1822-1830
- 2015 ESC guidelines for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation: task force for the management of acute coronary syndromes in patients presenting without persistent ST-segment elevation of the European society of cardiology (ESC).Eur. Heart J. 2016; 37: 267-315
- Elderly ACS-2 investigators. Outcomes of elderly patients with ST-elevation or non-ST-elevation acute coronary syndrome undergoing percutaneous coronary intervention.Am. J. Med. 2019 Feb; 132: 209-216
- Sex differences in treatments, relative survival, and excess mortality following acute myocardial infarction: national cohort study using the SWEDEHEART registry.J Am Heart Assoc. 2017; 61: 2
- Gender is Not a Predictor of Mortality or Major Adverse Cardiovascular Events in Patients Undergoing Percutaneous Coronary Intervention for Acute Coronary Syndromes. Heart Lung Circ.2018 Apr 4 (pii: S1443-9506(18)30136-)
- PEGASUS-TIMI 54 Steering Committee and Investigators Long-term use of ticagrelor in patients with prior myocardial infarction.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 372: 1791-1800
- Twelve or 30 months of dual antiplatelet therapy after drug-elutingstents.N. Engl. J. Med. 2014; 371: 2155-2166
- 6- versus 24-month dual antiplatelet therapy after implantation of drug-eluting stents in patients nonresistant to aspirin: final results of the ITALIC trial (is there a life for DES after discontinuation of clopidogrel).JACC Cardiovasc. Interv. 2017; 10: 1202-1210