- •The extension of atherosclerosis cannot be accurately predicted using clinical variables.
- •This holds true particularly in populations at high/very-high cardiovascular risk.
- •Several circulating proteins have been evaluated, but none proved powerful enough.
- •19 plausible biomarkers were ranked in terms of strength and predictive power.
- •CD40R emerged as a the most powerful biomarker of carotid atherosclerosis extension.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Cardiovascular diseases (CVDs) Fact Sheet, In, World health organization, 2017.
- Heart disease and stroke statistics—2019 update: a report from the American heart association.Circulation. 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Cardiovascular/stroke risk predictive calculators: a comparison between statistical and machine learning models.Cardiovasc. Diagn. Ther. 2020; 10: 919-938
- Global cardiovascular risk assessment in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease in adults: systematic review of systematic reviews.BMJ Open. 2017; (e013650): 7
- Global and regional prevalence, burden, and risk factors for carotid atherosclerosis: a systematic review, meta-analysis, and modelling study.The Lancet Global Health. 2020; 8: e721-e729
- Carotid atherosclerosis progression and risk of cardiovascular events in a community in taiwan.Sci. Rep. 2016; 6: 25733
- Carotid plaque rather than intima-media thickness as a predictor of recurrent vascular events in patients with acute ischemic stroke.Cardiovasc. Ultrasound. 2017; 15: 19
- Correlation between plaque vulnerability of aorta and coronary artery: an evaluation of plaque activity by direct visualization with angioscopy.Int. J. Cardiovasc. Imag. 2015; 31: 1107-1114
- Biomarkers of cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2006; 113: 2335-2362
- Vascular biomarkers in the prediction of clinical cardiovascular disease: the Strong Heart Study.Hypertension (Dallas, Tex. 1979; 2012: 29-35
- Vascular biomarkers and surrogates in cardiovascular disease.Circulation. 2006; 113: 2936-2942
- Novel biomarkers for cardiovascular risk assessment: current status and future directions.Future Cardiol. 2015; 11: 597-613
- Current role of biomarkers in carotid disease: a systematic review.Int. J. Stroke. 2011; 6: 337-345
- Nanomedicine in the diagnosis and treatment of atherosclerosis-A systematic review.Cardiovasc. Haematol. Disord. - Drug Targets. 2017; 17: 119-131
Libby P, Bornfeldt KE, Tall AR, Atherosclerosis: Successes, Surprises, and Future Challenges. Circ. Res. 2016; 118: 531–534.
- Arterial stiffness, atherosclerosis and cardiovascular risk: pathophysiologic mechanisms and emerging clinical indications.Vasc. Pharmacol. 2016; 77: 1-7
- Matrix metalloproteinase 7 is associated with symptomatic lesions and adverse events in patients with carotid atherosclerosis.PLoS One. 2014; 9: e84935
- Association of blood active matrix metalloproteinase-3 with carotid plaque score from a community population in Taiwan.Atherosclerosis. 2010; 212: 595-600
- Elevated plasma levels of MMP-12 are associated with atherosclerotic burden and symptomatic cardiovascular disease in subjects with type 2 diabetes.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2015; 35: 1723-1731
- Use of vascular assessments and novel biomarkers to predict cardiovascular events in type 2 diabetes: the SUMMIT VIP study.Diabetes Care. 2018; 41: 2212-2219
- Association between high levels of growth factors in plasma and progression of coronary atherosclerosis.J. Intern. Med. 1992; 232: 397-404
- Heparin-binding EGF-like growth factor (HB-EGF) antisense oligonucleotide protected against hyperlipidemia-associated atherosclerosis.Nutr. Metabol. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2019; 29: 306-315
- Selective EGFR (epidermal growth factor receptor) deletion in myeloid cells limits atherosclerosis-brief report.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2018; 38: 114-119
- Association of circulating hepatocyte growth factor and risk of incident peripheral artery disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Angiology. 2020; 71: 544-551
- Placental growth factor promotes atherosclerotic intimal thickening and macrophage accumulation.Circulation. 2005; 111: 2828-2836
- Placental growth factor as a predictor of cardiovascular events in patients with CKD from the NARA-CKD study.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2015; 26: 2871-2881
- Are plasma VEGF and its soluble receptor sFlt-1 atherogenic risk factors? Cross-sectional data from the SAPHIR study.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 206: 265-269
- Endothelial cell apoptosis and the role of endothelial cell-derived extracellular vesicles in the progression of atherosclerosis.Cell. Mol. Life Sci. 2019; 76: 1093-1106
- sTRAIL-R2 (soluble TNF [tumor necrosis factor]-related apoptosis-inducing ligand receptor 2) a marker of plaque cell apoptosis and cardiovascular events.Stroke. 2019; 50: 1989-1996
- Tumor necrosis factor receptor levels are associated with carotid atherosclerosis.Stroke. 2002; 33: 31-37
- Elevated markers of death receptor-activated apoptosis are associated with increased risk for development of diabetes and cardiovascular disease.EBioMedicine. 2017; 26: 187-197
- High plasma levels of CD40 are associated with low coenzyme Q and vitamin E content of low-density lipoprotein in healthy men.Scand. J. Clin. Lab. Invest. 2007; 67: 115-122
- The CD40-CD40L dyad as immunotherapeutic target in cardiovascular disease.J Cardiovasc Transl Res. 2020; 14: 13-22
- Clinical phenotype and microvascular dynamics of subjects with endothelial dysfunction as assessed by peripheral tonometry.Microcirculation. 2016; 23: 230-239
- Noninvasive Imaging to Assess Atherosclerotic Plaque Composition and Disease Activity: Coronary and Carotid Applications.JACC: Cardiovascular Imaging. 2020; 13: 1055-1068
- Recommendations for the assessment of carotid arterial plaque by ultrasound for the characterization of atherosclerosis and evaluation of cardiovascular risk: from the American society of echocardiography.J. Am. Soc. Echocardiogr. 2020; 33: 917-933
- Diagnosis and management of carotid atherosclerosis. BMJ.Br. Med. J. 2013; 346: f1485
- A new automated computerized analyzing system simplifies readings and reduces the variability in ultrasound measurement of intima-media thickness.Stroke. 1997; 28: 2195-2200
- Ultrasound measurement of carotid plaque as a surrogate outcome for coronary artery disease.Am. J. Cardiol. 2002; 89: 10-15
- Ankle-brachial pressure Index and pulse wave velocity in cardiovascular risk assessment.in: Vasan R.S. Sawyer D.B. Encyclopedia of Cardiovascular Research and Medicine. Elsevier, Oxford2018: 111-122
- Atherosclerosis. Nature Reviews Disease Primers. 2019; 5: 56
- Percutaneous sampling of local biomolecule gradients across coronary artery atherosclerotic plaques.JACC Basic Transl Sci. 2017; 2: 646-654
- Carotid plaque, compared with carotid intima-media thickness, more accurately predicts coronary artery disease events: a meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 220: 128-133
- ggplot2: Elegant Graphics for Data Analysis.2016
- Generalized Additive Models: an Introduction with R.second ed. CRC Press., 2017
- Cowplot: Streamlined Plot Theme and Plot Annotations for 'ggplot2'.2020
Nesti L, Mengozzi A, Natali A. Statins, LDL Cholesterol Control, Cardiovascular Disease Prevention, and Atherosclerosis Progression: A clinical perspective. Am. J. Cardiovasc. Drugs 2020; 20: 405–412.
- Statins (HMG-CoA reductase inhibitors) reduce CD40 expression in human vascular cells.Cardiovasc. Res. 2003; 59: 755-766
- Aspirin enhances regulatory functional activities of monocytes and downregulates CD16 and CD40 expression in myocardial infarction autoinflammatory disease.Int. Immunopharm. 2020; 83: 106349
- Deficient CD40-TRAF6 signaling in leukocytes prevents atherosclerosis by skewing the immune response toward an antiinflammatory profile.J. Exp. Med. 2010; 207: 391-404
- CD40 levels in plasma are associated with cardiovascular disease and in carotid plaques with a vulnerable plaque phenotype and remodelling.Eur. Heart J. 2020; : 41
- Identification of four potential biomarkers associated with coronary artery disease in non-diabetic patients by gene Co-expression network analysis.Front. Genet. 2020; : 11
- Expression of CD40 in vascular smooth muscle cells and macrophages is associated with early development of human atherosclerotic lesions.Am. J. Cardiol. 2001; 87: 21-27
- Functional association of a CD40 gene single-nucleotide polymorphism with the pathogenesis of coronary heart disease.Cardiovasc. Res. 2019; 116: 1214-1225
- Regulation of CD40 function by its isoforms generated through alternative splicing.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. Unit. States Am. 2001; 98: 1751-1756
- Soluble CD40 ligand expression in stable atherosclerosis: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2021; 319: 86-100
- CD40 signaling and plaque instability.Circ. Res. 2001; 89: 1092-1103
- Soluble CD40 ligand levels indicate lipid accumulation in carotid atheroma: an in vivo study with high-resolution MRI.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2003; 23: e11-14
- CD40 ligand as a potential biomarker for atherosclerotic instability.Neurol. Res. 2013; 35: 693-700
- Association of endothelial and oxidative stress with metabolic syndrome and subclinical atherosclerosis: multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.Eur. J. Clin. Nutr. 2011; 65: 818-825
- ESC Guidelines on cardiovascular disease prevention in clinical practice.Eur. Heart J. 2021; 2021: 3227-3337