- •Patients with diabetes mellitus or chronic kidney disease are at risk of frailty.
- •Diabetes predisposes patients to developing cardiovascular morbidities.
- •The influences of CKD or CV morbidities on the course of frailty in diabetic patients remains unclear.
- •Our findings illustrate the effect of CKD and CV morbidities on incident frailty risk.
- •Comorbidities-oriented care strategies potentially reduce frailty risk in these patients.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Research agenda for frailty in older adults: toward a better understanding of physiology and etiology: summary from the American geriatrics society/national institute on aging research conference on frailty in older adults.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2006; 54: 991-1001
- The association between frailty and all-cause mortality in community-dwelling older individuals: an umbrella review.J. Frailty Aging. 2021; 10: 320-326
- Frailty as a predictor of adverse outcomes in hospitalized older adults: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Ageing Res. Rev. 2019; 56100960
- Impacts of frailty on health care costs among community-dwelling older adults: a meta-analysis of cohort studies.Arch. Gerontol. Geriatr. 2021; 94104344
- Prevalence of frailty in community-dwelling older persons: a systematic review.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2012; 60: 1487-1492
- Physical frailty: ICFSR international clinical practice guidelines for identification and management.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2019; 23: 771-787
- Biological processes and biomarkers related to frailty in older adults: a state-of-the-science literature review.Biol. Res. Nurs. 2019; 21: 80-106
- The prevalence of frailty among community-dwelling older adults with diabetes: a meta-analysis.Int. J. Nurs. Stud. 2021; 119103952
- Diabetes and frailty.Curr. Opin. Clin. Nutr. Metab. Care. 2019; 22: 52-57
- Contributors, risk associates, and complications of frailty in patients with chronic kidney disease: a scoping review.Ther. Adv. Chronic Dis. 2019; 102040622319880382
- The prevalence of frailty and its associated factors in Japanese hemodialysis patients.Aging Dis. 2018; 9: 192-207
- The risk trajectory of different cardiovascular morbidities associated with chronic kidney disease among patients with newly diagnosed diabetes mellitus: a propensity score-matched cohort analysis.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2021; 20: 86
- Both pre-frailty and frailty increase healthcare utilization and adverse health outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2018; 17: 130
- Frailty predicts an increased risk of end-stage renal disease with risk competition by mortality among 165,461 diabetic kidney disease patients.Aging Dis. 2019; 10: 1270-1281
- Frailty modifies the association between opioid use and mortality in chronic kidney disease patients with diabetes: a population-based cohort study.Aging (Albany NY). 2020; 12: 21730-21746
- Frailty increases the risk for developing urinary tract infection among 79,887 patients with diabetic mellitus and chronic kidney disease.BMC Geriatr. 2021; 21: 349
- Long-term risk of coronary events after AKI.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2014; 25: 595-605
- Screening for kidney disease in adults with diabetes and prediabetes.Curr. Opin. Nephrol. Hypertens. 2005; 14: 249-252
- Validating the adapted diabetes complications severity index in claims data.Am. J. Manag. Care. 2012; 18: 721-726
- Performance of the adpated diabetes complications severity index translated to ICD-10.Am. J. Manag. Care. 2019; 25: e45-e49
- Diabetes disease severity was not associated with risk of deep infection or revision after shoulder arthroplasty.Clin. Orthop. Relat. Res. 2019; 477: 1358-1369
- A pilot study of the FRAIL scale on predicting outcomes in Chinese elderly people with type 2 diabetes.J. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc. 2015; 16 (e7-.e12): 714
- Frailty, health-related quality of life, cognition, depression, vitamin D and health-care utilization in an ambulatory adult population with type 1 or type 2 diabetes mellitus and chronic kidney disease: a cross-sectional analysis.Can. J. Diabetes. 2019; 43: 90-97
- Muscle relaxant use and the associated risk of incident frailty in patients with diabetic kidney disease: a longitudinal cohort study.Ther. Adv. Drug Saf. 2021; 1220420986211014639
- The I.A.N.A Task Force on frailty assessment of older people in clinical practice.J. Nutr. Health Aging. 2008; 12: 29-37
- Frailty is associated with a higher risk of developing delirium and cognitive impairment among patients with diabetic kidney disease: a longitudinal population-based cohort study.Diabet. Med. 2021; 38e14566
- Frailty in CKD and transplantion.Kidney Int. Rep. 2021; 6: 2270-2280
- The association of vitamin D deficiency and incident frailty in older women: the role of cardiometabolic diseases.J. Am. Geriatr. Soc. 2017; 65: 619-624
- Multimorbidity and functional impairment – bidirectional interplay, synergistic effects and common pathways.J. Intern. Med. 2019; 285: 255-271
- Young age at diabetes diagnosis amplifies the effect of diabetes duration on risk of chronic kidney disease: a prospective cohort study.Diabetologia. 2021; 64: 1990-2000
- Do long-term complications of type 2 diabetes increase susceptibility to geriatric syndromes in older adults?.Medicina (Kaunas). 2021; 57: 968
- Are diabetes-related factors associated with the social roles of elderly patients with diabetes?.J. Diabet. Complicat. 2021; 35107759
- Relation of frailty to outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes.Am. J. Cardiol. 2019; 124: 1002-1011
- Association of multimorbidity with frailty in older adults for elective non-cardiac surgey.Cureus. 2021; 13e15033
- Describing the relationship between atrial fibrillation and frailty: clinical implications and open research questions.Exp. Gerontol. 2021; 152111455
- Frailty is intertwined with heart failure: mechanisms, prevalence, prognosis, assessment, and management.JACC Heart Fail. 2019; 7: 1001-1011
- Prevalence and prognostic significance of polyvascular disease in patients hospitalized with acute decompensated heart failure: the ARIC study.J. Card. Fail. 2022; : S1071-S9164https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cardfail.2022.01.002
- Nutrition management in older adults with diabetes: a review on the importance of shifting prevention strategies from metabolic syndrome to frailty.Nutrients. 2020; 12: 3367
- Frailty and cardiac rehabilitation: a call to action from the EAPC Cardiac Rehabilitation Section.Eur. J. Prev. Cardiol. 2017; 24: 577-590