- •The proportion of patients with LDLR variants increased with increases in Achilles tendon (AT) thickness/softness.
- •LDLR variants affected the AT thickness and softness independent of the LDL-C year score.
- •PCSK9 variants did not influence AT thickening and softening or the prevalence of coronary artery disease (CAD).
- •Evaluating AT is important to identify familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) patients with LDLR variants at high risk for CAD.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Familial hypercholesterolemia.in: Scriver C.R. Beaudet A.L. Sly W.S. Valle D. The Metabolic and Molecular Bases of Inherited Disease. 8th. McGraw-Hill, Inc., 2001: 2863-2913
- Familial hypercholesterolaemia is underdiagnosed and undertreated in the general population: guidance for clinicians to prevent coronary heart disease: consensus statement of the European Atherosclerosis Society.Eur. Heart J. 2013; 34: 3478-3490a
- Risk of fatal coronary heart disease in familial hypercholesterolaemia. Scientific Steering Committee on behalf of the Simon Broome Register Group.BMJ. 1991; 303: 893-896
- Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia 2017.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2018; 25: 751-770
- Mutations in PCSK9 cause autosomal dominant hypercholesterolemia.Nat. Genet. 2003; 34: 154-156
- Familial defective apolipoprotein B-100: low density lipoproteins with abnormal receptor binding.Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U. S. A. 1987; 84: 6919-6923
- Impact of clinical signs and genetic diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolaemia on the prevalence of coronary artery disease in patients with severe hypercholesterolaemia.Eur. Heart J. 2017; 38: 1573-1579
- The first Japanese cases of familial hypercholesterolemia due to a known pathogenic APOB gene variant, c.10580 G>A: p.(Arg3527Gln).J Clin Lipidol. 2020; 14: 482-486
- Achilles tendon softness as a new tool for diagnosing familial hypercholesterolemia.JACC Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 14: 1483-1485
- Association between Achilles tendon softness and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2022;
- Impact of LDLR and PCSK9 pathogenic variants in Japanese heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia patients.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 289: 101-108
- Achilles tendon ultrasonography for diagnosis of familial hypercholesterolemia among Japanese subjects.Circ. J. 2017; 81: 1879-1885
- SAFEHEART risk-equation and cholesterol-year-score are powerful predictors of cardiovascular events in French patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 306: 41-49
- Association between cholesterol efflux capacity and atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2016; 36: 181-188
- Evaluation of coronary risk factors in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.Am. J. Cardiol. 2001; 87: 547-553
- Differences in characteristics and risk of cardiovascular disease in familial hypercholesterolemia patients with and without tendon xanthomas: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2009; 207: 311-317
- Blood lipid-related low-frequency variants in LDLR and PCSK9 are associated with onset age and risk of myocardial infarction in Japanese.Sci. Rep. 2018; 8: 8107
- Susceptibility of low-density lipoprotein particles to aggregate depends on particle lipidome, is modifiable, and associates with future cardiovascular deaths.Eur. Heart J. 2018; 39: 2562-2573
- Cholesterol efflux mediators in homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia patients on low-density lipoprotein apheresis.J Clin Lipidol. 2013; 7: 109-116
- Atheroprotective reverse cholesterol transport pathway is defective in familial hypercholesterolemia.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 2011; 31: 1675-1681