- •Alogliptin reduced coronary plaque volumes in acute coronary syndrome (ACS) patients with dysglycemia.
- •Alogliptin also decreased necrotic and lipid volumes and increased fibrous volume.
- •Beneficial effects of alogliptin were independent of lipid and glucose status.
- •Early intervention with incretin-based drug may be useful for secondary prevention.
Background and aims
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Association between blood glucose variability and coronary plaque instability in patients with acute coronary syndromes.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2015; 14: 111
- The impact of DPP-4 inhibitors on long-term survival among diabetic patients after first acute myocardial infarction.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2017; 16: 89
- Risk of cardiovascular and all-cause mortality in individuals with diabetes mellitus, impaired fasting glucose, and impaired glucose tolerance.Circulation. 2007; 116: 151-157
- Impact of diabetes duration on the extent and severity of coronary atheroma burden and long-term clinical outcome in asymptomatic type 2 diabetic patients: evaluation by Coronary CT angiography.Eur Hear J - Cardiovasc Imag. 2015; 16: 1065-1073
- Early interventions for optimal control of prediabetes and diabetes: critical to prevent cardiovascular disease?.Atherosclerosis. 2016; 253: 265-267
- Is admission hyperglycaemia in non-diabetic patients with acute myocardial infarction a surrogate for previously undiagnosed abnormal glucose tolerance?.Eur. Heart J. 2006; 27: 2413-2419
- Glycemic variability determined with a continuous glucose monitoring system can predict prognosis after acute coronary syndrome.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2018; 17: 116
- Dipeptidyl peptidase 4 inhibitors in the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus.Nat. Rev. Endocrinol. 2020; 16: 642-653
- Alogliptin after acute coronary syndrome in patients with type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2013; 369: 1327-1335
- Effect of sitagliptin on cardiovascular outcomes in type 2 diabetes.N. Engl. J. Med. 2015; 373: 232-242
- Pleiotropic benefits of DPP-4 inhibitors beyond glycemic control.Clin. Med. Insights Endocrinol. Diabetes. 2021; 14 (11795514211051698)
- Sitagliptin attenuates the progression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with coronary disease and type 2 diabetes.Atherosclerosis. 2020; 300 (8): 10
- Comparison of pioglitazone vs glimepiride on progression of coronary atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes: the PERISCOPE randomized controlled trial.JAMA. 2008; 299: 1561-1573
- iMap-intravascular ultrasound radiofrequency signal analysis reflects plaque components of optical coherence tomography-derived thin-cap fibroatheroma.Circ. J. : Off J Jpn Circulation Soc. 2015; 79: 2231-2237
- Effects of ezetimibe-statin combination therapy on coronary atherosclerosis in acute coronary syndrome.Circ. J. 2018; 82 (66): 757
- Effects of sitagliptin on coronary atherosclerosis in patients with type 2 diabetes-A serial integrated backscatter-intravascular ultrasound study.Am J Cardiovasc Dis. 2016; 6: 153-162
- Effect of sitagliptin on plaque changes in coronary artery following acute coronary syndrome in diabetic patients: the ESPECIAL-ACS study.J. Cardiol. 2017; 69: 369-376
- The impact of vildagliptin on the daily glucose profile and coronary plaque stability in impaired glucose tolerance patients with coronary artery disease: VOGUE—a multicenter randomized controlled trial.Bmc Cardiovasc Disor. 2021; 21: 92
- Diabetes mellitus is a major negative determinant of coronary plaque regression during statin therapy in patients with acute coronary syndrome.Circ. J. 2010; 74: 1165-1174
- Plasma glucagon-like peptide-1 and tissue characteristics of coronary plaque in non-diabetic acute coronary syndrome patients.Circ. J. 2016; 80 (–76): 469
- Long-Term dipeptidyl-peptidase 4 inhibition reduces atherosclerosis and inflammation via effects on monocyte recruitment and chemotaxis.Circulation. 2011; 124: 2338-2349
- Safety of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors: a meta-analysis of randomized clinical trials.Curr. Med. Res. Opin. 2011; 27: 57-64
- Clinical use of DPP-4 inhibitors.Front. Endocrinol. 2019; 10: 389
- Reduction of oxidative stress and inflammation by blunting daily acute glucose fluctuations in patients with type 2 diabetes.Diabetes Care. 2012; 35: 2076-2082
- Acarbose treatment and the risk of cardiovascular disease and hypertension in patients with impaired glucose tolerance: the STOP-NIDDM trial.JAMA. 2003; 290: 486-494
- Pioglitazone and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with insulin resistance, pre-diabetes and type 2 diabetes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMJ Open. 2017; 7e013927
- Differences in the glucose-lowering efficacy of dipeptidyl peptidase-4 inhibitors between Asians and non-Asians: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Diabetologia. 2013; 56: 696-708
- Ethnic difference in the pharmacodynamics‐efficacy relationship of dipeptidyl peptidase‐4 inhibitors between Japanese and non‐Japanese patients: a systematic review.Clin. Pharmacol. Ther. 2017; 102: 701-708
- Impact of dual lipid-lowering strategy with ezetimibe and atorvastatin on coronary plaque regression in patients with percutaneous coronary intervention the multicenter randomized controlled PRECISE-IVUS trial.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2015; 66: 495-507
- Better cardiovascular outcomes of type 2 diabetic patients treated with GLP-1 receptor agonists versus DPP-4 inhibitors in clinical practice.Cardiovasc. Diabetol. 2020; 19: 74