- •Although glomerular hyperfiltration (GHF) was associated with metabolic risk and CVD, its role has been underrated because definition was not unified.
- •GHF with adjustment for confounding factors was associated with the presence of significant carotid plaque (plaque score ≥2).
- •Carotid plaque is associated with the risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD). GHF can be a useful surrogate for surveillance of CVD.
Background and aims
Abbreviations:GHF (glomerular hyperfiltration), CVD (cardiovascular disease)
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
- Chronic kidney disease and cardiovascular risk: epidemiology, mechanisms, and prevention.Lancet. 2013; 382: 339-352
- Glomerular hyperfiltration: definitions, mechanisms and clinical implications.Nat. Rev. Nephrol. 2012; 8: 293-300
- Factors associated with glomerular hyperfiltration in the early stage of hypertension.Am. J. Hypertens. 2012; 25: 1011-1016
- Obesity-induced glomerular hyperfiltration: its involvement in the pathogenesis of tubular sodium reabsorption.Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2008; 23: 3946-3952
- Cigarette smoking and the association with glomerular hyperfiltration and proteinuria in healthy middle-aged men.Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2011; 6: 2462-2469
- Physical exercise, fasting glucose, and renal hyperfiltration in the general population: the Renal Iohexol Clearance Survey in Tromsø 6 (RENIS-T6).Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2012; 7: 1801-1810
- Association of glomerular hyperfiltration and cardiovascular risk in middle-aged healthy individuals.JAMA Netw. Open. 2020; 3 (e202377-e202377)
- Renal hyperfiltration as a novel marker of all-cause mortality.J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2015; 26: 1426-1433
- Renal hyperfiltration as a risk factor for chronic kidney disease: a health checkup cohort study.PLoS One. 2020; 15e0238177
- A systematic review of glomerular hyperfiltration assessment and definition in the medical literature.Clin. J. Am. Soc. Nephrol. 2015; 10: 382-389
- Carotid plaque, compared with carotid intima-media thickness, more accurately predicts coronary artery disease events: a meta-analysis.Atherosclerosis. 2012; 220: 128-133
- The value of carotid artery plaque and intima-media thickness for incident cardiovascular disease: the multi-ethnic study of atherosclerosis.J. Am. Heart Assoc. 2013; 2e000087
- Estimating glomerular filtration rate from serum creatinine and cystatin C.N. Engl. J. Med. 2012; 367: 20-29
- Impaired fasting glucose is associated with renal hyperfiltration in the general population.Diabetes Care. 2011; 34: 1546-1551
- Association of renal hyperfiltration with incident proteinuria - a nationwide registry study.PLoS One. 2018; 13e0195784
- Glomerular hyperfiltration is a predictor of adverse cardiovascular outcomes.Kidney Int. 2018; 93: 195-203
- Carotid intima-media thickness and plaque in cardiovascular risk assessment.JACC. Cardiovasc. Imag. 2014; 7: 1025-1038
- Carotid plaques increase the risk of stroke and subtypes of cerebral infarction in asymptomatic elderly: the Rotterdam study.Circulation. 2002; 105: 2872-2877
- The aging kidney: physiological changes.Adv. Chron. Kidney Dis. 2010; 17: 302-307
- How unmeasured muscle mass affects estimated GFR and diagnostic inaccuracy.EClinicalMedicine. 2020; 29–30100662
- Glomerular hyperfiltration in prediabetes and prehypertension.Nephrol. Dial. Transplant. 2012; 27: 1821-1825
- Glomerular hyperfiltration interacts with abnormal metabolism to enhance arterial stiffness in middle-aged and elderly people.Front. Med. 2021; 8732413
- The change in kidney function was associated with carotid artery plaque in a community-based population: a cohort study.Nutr. Metabol. Cardiovasc. Dis. 2021; 31: 119-126
- Subclinical cardiovascular disease is associated with a high glomerular filtration rate in the nondiabetic general population.Kidney Int. 2014; 86: 146-153
- Comparison of risk prediction using the CKD-EPI equation and the MDRD study equation for estimated glomerular filtration rate.JAMA. 2012; 307: 1941-1951
- Sarcopenia: revised European consensus on definition and diagnosis.Age Ageing. 2019; 48: 16-31
- Marked association between obesity and glomerular hyperfiltration: a cross-sectional study in an African population.Am. J. Kidney Dis. 2010; 56: 303-312
- Obesity-related glomerulopathy: clinical and pathologic characteristics and pathogenesis.Nat. Rev. Nephrol. 2016; 12: 453-471
- Trajectories of growth among children who have coronary events as adults.N. Engl. J. Med. 2005; 353: 1802-1809
- Glomerular hyperfiltration: a new marker of metabolic risk.Kidney Int. 2007; 71: 816-821
- Association of carotid artery plaque with cardiovascular events and incident coronary artery calcium in individuals with absent coronary calcification: the MESA.Circ Cardiovasc Imaging. 2021; 14e011701