- •SAA and IL-1β increase the expression of cavin-1 and caveolin-1 via activation of NF-κB.
- •SAA and IL-1β promote LDL transcytosis across endothelial cells.
- •SAA and IL-1β accelerate the formation of atherosclerotic lesions.
Background and aims
Inflammatory molecules play important roles in atherosclerosis. We aimed to illustrate the roles of serum amyloid A (SAA), and interleukin (IL)-1β in low density lipoproteins (LDL) transcytosis and atherosclerosis.
Effects of SAA and IL-1β on transcytosis of LDL were measured by an in vitro LDL transcytosis model. NF-κB/caveolin-1/cavin-1 pathway activation was investigated by Western blots and ELISA. Effects of SAA and IL-1β on the retention of LDL in aorta of C57BL/6J mice were detected by IVIS spectrum. Effects of SAA and IL-1β on atherosclerosis in Apoe−/− mice were examined by Oil Red O staining.
SAA and IL-1β stimulated LDL transcytosis across endothelial cells (ECs), which was accompanied by an increase in LDL uptake by ECs. SAA and IL-1β enhanced the activity of nuclear factor (NF)-κB, consequently facilitating an up-regulation of proteins involved in caveolae formation, including caveolin-1 and cavin-1, along with an assembly of NLRP3 inflammasome. Furthermore, SAA- and IL-1β-induced effects were blocked by NF-κB subunit p65 siRNA. Meanwhile, SAA- and IL-1β-induced LDL transcytosis were effectively blocked by caveolin-1 siRNA or cavin-1 siRNA. Interestingly, SAA and IL-1β facilitated LDL entering into the aorta of C57BL/6J mice. In Apoe−/− mice, SAA and IL-1β increased the areas of lipid-rich atherosclerotic lesions in the both ascending and root of aorta. Furthermore, a significant increase in the NLRP3 inflammasome, accompanied by accumulation of cavin-1 and caveolin-1, was observed in the aortic endothelium of Apoe −/− mice.
SAA and IL-1β accelerated LDL transcytosis via the NF-κB/caveolin-1/cavin-1 axis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Heart disease and stroke statistics-2019 update: a report from the American heart association.Circulation. Mar 2019; 139: e56-e528
- Atherosclerosis. Nature. Sep 2000; 407: 233-241
- Subendothelial lipoprotein retention as the initiating process in atherosclerosis - update and therapeutic implications.Circulation. Oct 2007; 116: 1832-1844
- Subendothelial retention of atherogenic lipoproteins in early atherosclerosis.Nature. Jun 2002; 417: 750-754
- Retention of low-density lipoprotein in atherosclerotic lesions of the mouse: evidence for a role of lipoprotein lipase.Circ. Res. Oct. 2007; 101: 777-783
- SR-B1 drives endothelial cell LDL transcytosis via DOCK4 to promote atherosclerosis.Nature. May 2019; 569: 565-569
- Low-density lipoprotein size and cardiovascular risk assessment.QJM. Jan 2006; 99: 1-14
- Small dense low-density lipoprotein as biomarker for atherosclerotic diseases.Oxid. Med. Cell. Longev. May 2017; 20171273042
- Endothelial transcytosis in health and disease.Cell Tissue Res. Jan 2009; 335: 27-40
- Transcytosis: crossing cellular barriers.Physiol. Rev. Jul 2003; 83: 871-932
- Caveolae/raft-dependent endocytosis.J. Cell Biol. May 2003; 161: 673-677
- Caveolae and transcytosis in endothelial cells: role in atherosclerosis.Cell Tissue Res. Jan 2009; 335: 41-47
- Caveolin, caveolae, and endothelial cell function.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. Jul 2003; 23: 1161-1168
- CAV1-CAVIN1-LC3B-mediated autophagy regulates high glucose-stimulated LDL transcytosis.Autophagy. Jun 2020; 16: 1111-1129
- NLRP3 inflammasome expression and activation in human atherosclerosis.J. Am. Heart Assoc. May 2016; 5
- NLRP3 inflammasomes are required for atherogenesis and activated by cholesterol crystals.Nature. Apr 2010; 464: 1357-1361
- NLRP3 inflammasome and the IL-1 pathway in atherosclerosis.Circ. Res. Jun 2018; 122: 1722-1740
- Molecular mechanisms regulating NLRP3 inflammasome activation.Cell. Mol. Immunol. Mar 2016; 13: 148-159
- Lack of interleukin-1 receptor antagonist modulates plaque composition in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Arterioscler. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. Jun 2004; 24: 1068-1073
- Inflammation and its resolution in atherosclerosis: mediators and therapeutic opportunities.Nat. Rev. Cardiol. Jul 2019; 16: 389-406
- Isolation of human umbilical vein endothelial cells and their use in the study of neutrophil transmigration under flow conditions.Jove-Journal of Visualized Experiments. Aug 2012; e4032
- Flow-cytometric determination of high-density-lipoprotein binding sites on human leukocytes.Clin. Chem. Dec 1987; 33: 2195-2203
- Determination of LDL receptors on cultured lymphocytes using fluorescein-labeled LDL.Am. J. Clin. Pathol. Jul. 1982; 78: 58-62
- Uptake of oxLDL and IL-10 production by macrophages requires PAFR and CD36 recruitment into the same lipid rafts.PLoS One. Oct 2013; 8e76893
- Transepithelial and endothelial transport of poly (amidoamine) dendrimers.Adv. Drug Deliv. Rev. Dec 2005; 57: 2163-2176
- Glutamine deprivation facilitates tumour necrosis factor induced bacterial translocation in Caco-2 cells by depletion of enterocyte fuel substrate.Gut. Feb 2003; 52: 224-230
- A simplified probe preparation for ELISA-based NF-kappaB activity assay.J. Biochem. Biophys. Methods. Oct 2005; 65: 20-29
- Animal research: reporting in vivo experiments: the ARRIVE guidelines.Br. J. Pharmacol. Aug 2010; 160: 1577-1579
- TNF-alpha promotes early atherosclerosis by increasing transcytosis of LDL across endothelial cells: crosstalk between NF-kappaB and PPAR-gamma.J. Mol. Cell. Cardiol. Jul 2014; 72: 85-94
- High-density lipoprotein (HDL) inhibits serum amyloid A (SAA)-Induced vascular and renal dysfunctions in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.International journal of molecular sciences. Feb. 2020; 21
- Salidroside improves endothelial function and alleviates atherosclerosis by activating a mitochondria-related AMPK/PI3K/Akt/eNOS pathway.Vascul. Pharmacol. Sep. 2015; 72: 141-152
- Salidroside-Mediated Autophagic Targeting of Active Src and Caveolin-1 Suppresses Low-Density Lipoprotein Transcytosis across Endothelial Cells. vol. 2020. Jun 20209595036
- Native C-reactive protein increases whereas modified C-reactive protein reduces atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-knockout mice.Circulation. Aug 2005; 112: 1016-1023
- Limiting Inflammation-The Negative Regulation of NF-κB and the NLRP3 Inflammasome. vol. 18. Jul 2017: 861-869 (8)
- Cavin-1 regulates caveolae-mediated LDL transcytosis: crosstalk in an AMPK/eNOS/NF-kappaB/Sp1 loop.Oncotarget. Nov 2017; 8: 103985-103995
- Transendothelial transport of lipoproteins.Atherosclerosis. Dec 2020; 315: 111-125
- CRP-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation increases LDL transcytosis across endothelial cells.Front. Pharmacol. Jan 2019; 10: 40
- Hydroxychloroquine inhibits IL-1β production from amyloid-stimulated human neutrophils.Arthritis Res. Ther. Nov 2019; 21: 250
- Serum amyloid A induces interleukin-1β secretion from keratinocytes via the NACHT, LRR and PYD domains-containing protein 3 inflammasome.Clin. Exp. Immunol. Feb 2015; 179: 344-353
- High-density lipoprotein inhibits serum amyloid A-mediated reactive oxygen species generation and NLRP3 inflammasome activation.J. Biol. Chem. 2018; 293 (Aug 24): 13257-13269
- TNF regulates transcription of NLRP3 inflammasome components and inflammatory molecules in cryopyrinopathies.J. Clin. Invest. Dec 2017; 127: 4488-4497
- Native and oxidised lipoproteins negatively regulate the serum amyloid A-induced NLRP3 inflammasome activation in human macrophages.Clinical & translational immunology. Aug 2021; 10: e1323
- Caveolin-1 expression and cavin stability regulate caveolae dynamics in adipocyte lipid store fluctuation.Diabetes. Dec 2014; 63: 4032-4044
- Caveolin-1 is ubiquitinated and targeted to intralumenal vesicles in endolysosomes for degradation.J. Cell Biol. Nov 2010; 191: 615-629
- Caveolin-1 knockout mice exhibit airway hyperreactivity.Am. J. Physiol. Lung Cell Mol. Physiol. Oct 2012; 303: L669-L681
- Caveolins, caveolae, and lipid rafts in cellular transport, signaling, and disease.Biochem. Cell. Biol. Feb 2004; 82: 129-144
- Cavin fever: regulating caveolae.Nat. Cell Biol. Jul 2009; 11: 789-791
- Genetic evidence supporting a critical role of endothelial caveolin-1 during the progression of atherosclerosis.Cell Metabol. Jul 2009; 10: 48-54
- Caveolin-1 regulates atherogenesis by attenuating low-density lipoprotein transcytosis and vascular inflammation independently of endothelial nitric oxide synthase activation.Circulation. Jul 2019; 140: 225-239
- VCAM-1-binding peptide targeted cationic liposomes containing NLRP3 siRNA to modulate LDL transcytosis as a novel therapy for experimental atherosclerosis.Metabolism. Oct 2022; 135155274
- Identification of LPS-activated endothelial subpopulations with distinct inflammatory phenotypes and regulatory signaling mechanisms.Front. Immunol. May 2019; 10: 1169
- C-reactive protein promotes atherosclerosis by increasing LDL transcytosis across endothelial cells.Br. J. Pharmacol. May 2014; 171: 2671-2684
- Serum amyloid A directly accelerates the progression of atherosclerosis in apolipoprotein E-deficient mice.Mol. Med. Sep 2011; 17: 1357-1364
- A brief elevation of serum amyloid A is sufficient to increase atherosclerosis.J. Lipid Res. Feb 2015; 56: 286-293
- A novel function of serum amyloid A: a potent stimulus for the release of tumor necrosis factor-alpha, interleukin-1beta, and interleukin-8 by human blood neutrophil.Biochem. Biophys. Res. Commun. Feb 2000; 268: 405-408
Published online: March 11, 2023
Accepted: March 8, 2023
Received in revised form: March 6, 2023
Received: July 11, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.