- •Attainment of the LDL cholesterol target is currently inadequate in FH.
- •Attainment of the LDL cholesterol target is associated with better prognosis in FH.
- •PCSK9 inhibitor is associated with better attainment rate of the LDL cholesterol target.
Background and aims
No previous study has investigated the association between attainment of low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol treatment target and better prognosis in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia (FH). The current research aimed to examine the association between attainment of LDL cholesterol treatment target and major adverse cardiac events (MACEs) in patients with FH to validate the current LDL cholesterol treatment targets in primary (<100 mg/dL) and secondary (<70 mg/dL) prevention settings.
The data of patients with FH who were admitted to Kanazawa University Hospital between 2000 and 2020 and who were followed-up were retrospectively reviewed. The number of MACEs, including mortality associated with cardiovascular disease, unstable angina, and myocardial infarction per 1000 person-years, was calculated for each stratum for the attainment of LDL cholesterol target.
The median follow-up duration was 12.6 years. In total, 132 MACEs were recorded during the follow-up period. The numbers of patients who attained the LDL cholesterol target in the primary and secondary prevention groups were 228 (31.9%) and 40 (11.9%), respectively. The event rates per 1000 person-years for LDL cholesterol levels of <100 and ≥100 mg/dL in the primary prevention group were 2.6 and 4.4, respectively. The event rates per 1000 person-years for LDL cholesterol levels of <70 and ≥70 mg/dL in the secondary prevention group were 15.3 and 27.5, respectively.
Attainment of the LDL cholesterol target is associated with better prognosis in patients with FH. However, the attainment rate is currently inadequate among Japanese.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Atherosclerosis
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Half a century tales of familial hypercholesterolemia (FH) in Japan.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2017; 24: 189-207
- Familial hypercholesterolemia: JACC focus seminar 4/4.J. Am. Coll. Cardiol. 2021; 78: 1831-1843
- Homozygous familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2021; 28: 665-678
- American heart association Atherosclerosis, hypertension, and obesity in young committee of council on cardiovascular disease in young, council on cardiovascular and stroke nursing, council on functional Genomics and translational biology, and council on lifestyle and cardiometabolic Health. The agenda for familial hypercholesterolemia: a scientific statement from the American heart association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 2167-2192
- Integrated guidance on the care of familial hypercholesterolemia from the International FH Foundation.J Clin Lipidol. 2014; 8: 148-172
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Familial hypercholesterolaemia: identification and management. Guidance and guidelines. ProMED-mail website. https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg71. Accessed October 14, 2022.
- Working group by Japan Atherosclerosis society for making guidance of familial hypercholesterolemia. Guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of familial hypercholesterolemia.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2018; 25: 751-770
- Joint working group by Japan pediatric society and Japan Atherosclerosis society for making guidance of pediatric familial hypercholesterolemia. Guidance for pediatric familial hypercholesterolemia 2017.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2018; 25: 539-553
- Effectiveness and safety of lipid-lowering drug treatments in Japanese patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: familial hypercholesterolemia expert forum (FAME) study.J. Atherosclerosis Thromb. 2022; 29: 608-638
- Longitudinal low density lipoprotein cholesterol goal achievement and cardiovascular outcomes among adult patients with familial hypercholesterolemia: the CASCADE FH registry.Atherosclerosis. 2019; 289: 85-93
- Japanese clinical practice guideline for diabetes 2019.J Diabetes Investig. 2020; 11: 1020-1076
- Effect of cumulative exposure to low-density lipoprotein-cholesterol on cardiovascular events in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.Circ. J. 2021; 85: 2073-2078
- The rebound of lipoproteins after LDL-apheresis. Kinetics and estimation of mean lipoprotein levels.Atherosclerosis. 2000; 152: 519-526
- Oligogenic familial hypercholesterolemia, LDL cholesterol, and coronary artery disease.J Clin Lipidol. 2018; 12: 1436-1444
- Challenges in detecting genomic copy number aberrations using next-generation sequencing data and the eXome Hidden Markov Model: a clinical exome-first diagnostic approach.Hum Genome Var. 2016; 316025
- ACMG laboratory quality assurance committee. Standards and guidelines for the interpretation of sequence variants: a joint consensus recommendation of the American College of medical genetics and Genomics and the association for molecular pathology.Genet. Med. 2015; 17: 405-424
- The effects of 3-year statin therapy and the achievement of LDL cholesterol target values in familial hypercholesterolemia patients: an experience from Serbia.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 277: 298-303
- LDL-cholesterol target achievement in patients with heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia at Groote Schuur Hospital: minority at target despite large reductions in LDL-C.Atherosclerosis. 2018; 277: 327-333
- LDL cholesterol target achievement in heterozygous familial hypercholesterolemia patients according to 2019 ESC/EAS lipid guidelines: implications for newer lipid-lowering treatments.Int. J. Cardiol. 2021; 345: 119-124
- The burden of severe hypercholesterolemia and familial hypercholesterolemia in a population-based setting in the US.Am J Prev Cardiol. 2022; 12100393
- Prognostic impact of cascade screening for familial hypercholesterolemia on cardiovascular events.J Clin Lipidol. 2021; 15: 358-365
- Early diagnosis and treatments in childhood are associated with better prognosis in patients with familial hypercholesterolemia.Am J Prev Cardiol. 2022 Nov 19; 12100434
- FOURIER steering committee and investigators. Evolocumab and clinical outcomes in patients with cardiovascular disease.N. Engl. J. Med. 2017; 376: 1713-1722
- Zeiher AM; ODYSSEY OUTCOMES committees and investigators. Alirocumab and cardiovascular outcomes after acute coronary syndrome.N. Engl. J. Med. 2018; 379: 2097-2107
Published online: March 16, 2023
Accepted: March 8, 2023
Received in revised form: January 10, 2023
Received: November 3, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Journal Pre-Proof
© 2023 Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.